Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is one pickup louder than the other?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is one pickup louder than the other?

For some odd reason my neck pickup is substantially louder than the bridge pickup. Is there a way I can measure this difference with a multimeter and then fix it? This problem is occurring on my mystery bass which has Bartolini pickups and a three band eq with blend.
    Tallest Forum Member at 6'8"
    Basses: Deep Translucent red stingray 4, Fender MIA P-bass deluxe
    Amp: SM-900 into a SWR SOB15"
    FX - Too many
    Minister of Active P-basses
    Winner of Bonoman's Post of the Day Away 4/21/05

Usually, the neck pickup is hotter. Don't know why, but I suspect that it's the way that they wind them. Like I said, dunno.
    This is the end of something.

Basses: Modified P bass(P40), Squire P Bass Special, Ibanez GSR(Piccolo project, as soon as I can find a tuner for it).

Effects:
    GM Red Death fuzz.

Rig:
    Ibanez SW35
    MySpace
    MyMusicSpace

Comment

maybe it needs to be re-soldered
      My Myspace
      Pics of all my gear

---Equipment---
      Bass
      GK 1001RB-II/Ibanez - ATK300RSPBK/PEAVEY - T40/PEAVEY - 4x10 TVX cab/PEAVEY - Classic 400 All tube/Douglas - WPB-980 Fretless/Schecter - Stiletto Custom 4/SX - PJB Scorpion Jazz - USA Fender Jazz

Guitar
      "Wal-Mart"- Electric Acoustic Guitar/Ibanez - SA260M/PEAVEY - XXL Head/PEAVEY - XXL 4x12 cab

Effects/Gear
      Digitech - BP 50/Digitech - Bass Driver/Digitech - Grunge/Boss - Micro Br

Camera
      Canon Powershot S5 IS

Comment

If it needed to be resoldered I would imagine no volume would be more symptomatic than lower volume. I got out the multimeter and cycled through a few resistance selections. I found a the neck to have a resistance of 2.82 and the bridge to have 2.24. Is this where the problem is? I can't see anything that needs to be wound but I imagine that is under the pickup covers.
        FX - Too many

Comment

The neck pickup normally has a higher (and deeper) signal because the amplitude of vibration of the strings is higher there for the root tone (fundamental). The neck pickup has a lower signal with more treble because the fundamental has smaller amplitude there, and the upper harmonics have a relatively higher amplitude (much shorter wavelength). This can be addressed either by winding a hotter pickup or positioning the bridge pickup closer to the strings (or both).
          ​"The United States is in no sense founded upon Christian Doctrine." Article 11, Treaty of Tripoli, signed into law by President John Adams, June 10, 1797
          "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God." Thomas Jefferson
          "The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You don't need a multimeter - just reduce the neck pickup's height, or increase the bridge pickup's height.

Comment

You don't need a multimeter - just reduce the neck pickup's height, or increase the bridge pickup's height.

+1. See if that improves the balance before you do anything else.
              Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
              Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
              Attention Whore-T-broom
              I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
              Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
              grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
              Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

+1. See if that improves the balance before you do anything else.

I'm pretty sure that would do the trick, but my bass would be less loud if I did that. Since there is a difference of resistance between the pickups, couldn't I just rewind the bridge so its resistance matches the other pickup?
                FX - Too many

Comment

I'm pretty sure that would do the trick, but my bass would be less loud if I did that. Since there is a difference of resistance between the pickups, couldn't I just rewind the bridge so its resistance matches the other pickup?

What's the problem with it being less loud?

Unless you're already maxing out the input gain on any bit of gear you're using, then is that really a problem?

And if you increased the bridge pickup height, then it shouldn't be any quieter anyway, right?

Comment

That's a lot of really involved and sensitive work for a simple issue. Adjusting the pickup heights is the answer for all but the most extreme situations.
                    HCBF Amp Build: Kindness's Links

More about me:
                    Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

What's the problem with it being less loud?

Unless you're already maxing out the input gain on any bit of gear you're using, then is that really a problem?

And if you increased the bridge pickup height, then it shouldn't be any quieter anyway, right?

I thought the volume of your bass was directly proportional to the size of your penis?

Jokes aside, I'll just adjust the pickup height
                      FX - Too many

Comment

Anyway it's not the neck pickup being hotter but the string moving larger over it than over the bridge pickup.
                        More movement = more energy = higher output.
                        A properly built PJ bass (ie not a Fender) will use a humbucker in J position to counterpart output issues.
                        1/3 solid knowledge, 1/3 common sense, 1/3 made-up bull****************
                        Wanna try a different pace ? Parlez-vous français ?

Korg and Akai manuals

Comment

Working...
                        X