Notation software?

Emprov

• Members

Formerly a Finale user but that's way, way too big for what I need these days and I'm not willing to shell out many hundreds of dollars to do some basic notation. I'm just looking for a basic program that will allow me to write chord symbols above the staff. I'm using Notepad (free download), but the chord symbols (which is really just text, not real flat or sharp characters), don't stay with the measures. You enter them and, when you start plugging in the notes, the measures resize, leaving the text chord names exactly where you put them. Anyone used Finale Songwriter?

• Members

I have been trying to learn to use PowerTab to write some music. It is free but was recomended by a guitard... It lets you place notes on the staff and then will print out the sheet music. It will also play the notes back in midi format so you can see how it sounds... Not sure if it will do what you want...

• Members

I'm using Songwriter. I haven't tried the chord symbols out yet, but it is definitely leaps beyond Notepad.

Have you tried the lower-priced Sibelius line?

Never used Sibelius but I know a few people who like it a lot. I'll definitely check it out though. How robust is Songwriter anyway?

• Members

Check out Sibelius G7 - it's an inexpensive "basic" version of their full blown software. It's kinda "dumbed down" for guitarists (and includes full tab capabilties). Still pretty powerful and versatile, but easy to use and can be as "basic" as you need it to be. While made specifically for guitarists, it does take bassists into account as well, and you can easily tweak it for just about any stringed/fretted instrument (I use it for Irish Bouzouki, octave mandolin, & ukulele as well as bass). You can also notate keys, voice, horns, etc., but it is mostly oriented towards guitars. The biggest weak point is the included sounds - VERY cheesy and crappy. But you may not have any need for even using the audio playback feature. If you did need really great sounding playback, you could always use the software to trigger whatever synth/software sounds you wanted to.

Anyway, I think I bought it for like $60, and I've been really happy with it. I initially bought it just to work out some basic ideas, and I ended up using it far more than I thought I would. It's a good product.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Is there anything out there that generates notation/lead sheets from mp3's or .wav files? I want to play a CD and get the printed music for it.

I'd be interested in that too. In the '80s I had an Apple II software that wrote out the music you played on a MIDI keyboard, so I'd imagine there's one now that can write out the music from an MP3.

• Members

You need MP3 to notation converter. I know 2 guyes that work for 2 different teams that develop such software and 1 scientest (but seems to that he don't has version for mass usage). Powerfull versions are not cheap.

If you need just to embed audito track and notate other using music notation you can use software like

MagicScore Maestro 7 or

Maestro Composer 5. First version cheaper second more porefessional.

• Members

Check out Sibelius G7 - it's an inexpensive "basic" version of their full blown software. It's kinda "dumbed down" for guitarists (and includes full tab capabilties). Still pretty powerful and versatile, but easy to use and can be as "basic" as you need it to be. While made specifically for guitarists, it does take bassists into account as well, and you can easily tweak it for just about any stringed/fretted instrument (I use it for Irish Bouzouki, octave mandolin, & ukulele as well as bass). You can also notate keys, voice, horns, etc., but it is mostly oriented towards guitars. The biggest weak point is the included sounds - VERY cheesy and crappy. But you may not have any need for even using the audio playback feature. If you did need really great sounding playback, you could always use the software to trigger whatever synth/software sounds you wanted to.

Anyway, I think I bought it for like $60, and I've been really happy with it. I initially bought it just to work out some basic ideas, and I ended up using it far more than I thought I would. It's a good product.

Another Sibelius user here (Sibelius First v6.2.0). That reminds me, I have a 2 year old transcription to finish. :D

• Members

Another Sibelius user here (Sibelius First v6.2.0). That reminds me, I have a 2 year old transcription to finish.
:D

When we purchase simplified versions of cool brands programs often we pay to much for a brand. For full version it is normal to pay for brand if program deserve this, for simplified versions - often not.

Up to me Maestro 7 offers much more tools for $79.95 than Sibelius First for $129. Also I like Quick Input from MagicScore Maestro 7 more then any other method to type scores from any other know to me music notation software, becuase it works faster. On theis website I saw offer to order this music notation software with $20 off, so price will be only $59.95.

• Members

When we purchase simplified versions of cool brands programs often we pay to much for a brand. For full version it is normal to pay for brand if program deserve this, for simplified versions - often not.

Up to me Maestro 7 offers much more tools for $79.95 than Sibelius First for $129. Also I like Quick Input from MagicScore Maestro 7 more then any other method to type scores from any other know to me music notation software, becuase it works faster. On theis website I saw offer to order this
music notation software with $20 off
, so price will be only $59.95.

Sibelius First 6 cost me rather less than 129 in April 2011. Don't remember how much offhand, but it was definitely under 100. It beat the hell out of my pencil and paper. :D

• Members

Details.
:mad:

It's because I've been working 11-12 hour days most days since August 2010.

Please remind me next week I will provide details.

Talking about price I mean list prices, of cause any company offer discounts.

I also works too much. Before MusikMesse 2011I started worke even more. on exhibition I worked as never before. Same at MusikMesse 2012.

I wish to work less but more productively. But how...?

Archived