Anyone familiar w/ Peavey XR-500?

PaulyWally

• Members

It's a 4-channel powered mixer. I'll be using one of these in the near future... but it's not mine and I don't think I can get these answers from the guy that has it (a bar owner who's bar someone left it at).

It's got two 1/4" outputs on the back... 4 ohms minimum. That's pretty self explanatory. But then it's also got a 1/4" monitor output on the front. I don't know if it is powered or not... and if it is, does it draw from the main power amp?

Basically, I just gotta find out what kind of FOH/monitor configurations I can do with this thing.

BTW - Peavey.com is down... and has been up-and-down for the last several months. I'm gonna keep checking, but I don't think I can count on DL'ing the manual from them in time.

Thanks!

• Members

Is it just an XR-500 or does it have a letter designation like XR-500A or XR-500B? Peavey has been making the XR series powered mixers since the beginning of time, so it could be any age. That said, from the brief description you gave, it sounds like you're dealing with an old school XR-500. Those little powered mixers were made about 25 years ago, but a lot of them are still around and working. I think they're around the same vintage as the XR-600B, the second generation of the famed XR-600 series. The XR-500 was a more budget friendly model, and if I remember correctly they didn't even have XLR inputs (Hi-Z 1/4" microphones only, woohoo!).

The 1/4" monitor out jack is not powered, and will require an additional amp. Does anyone remember those big old monitor power amps with built-in eq Peavey used to make? Anyway, the only powered outputs that can be fed directly to passive speakers are the two clearly labeled outputs on the rear of the unit.

The best advice is to run two speakers off the powered mixer itself, then take the monitor output jack either to a seperate amp powering some wedges or straight to a powered monitor/speaker.

• Members

He'll just be using it, not buying it. I was just remarking that $300 is a ridiculous price for one of those, especially when you can get an XR-600F for about $200 used (7 channels, digital effects, dual 9 band eq, two assignable 200 watt power amps).

Those old tanks are just a testament to the reliability of a lot of the gear Peavey has put out over the years. Heck, I still see a lot of XR600B's in service, despite a quarter century of abuse and neglect.

• Members

This perhaps?

peaveyxr500400wattsfront.jpg

That's exactly it. No XLR's. It's like 130 watts (or something like that).

The bar owner says it works great, and fills the entire room (with a full band). So we're just going to use that and supplement it with a couple of our own pieces.

No XLR's sucks. But I think we can get by without them for the size of this gig. And it'll save our backs.

• Members

...Heck, I still see a lot of XR600B's in service, despite a quarter century of abuse and neglect.

Hey, I resemble that remark. I have a 20+ year old XR600B, single power amp 300wts@2 ohms stable. I still use it for our "semi-acoustic" gigs - two ac/el guitars, one ac/el bass, and three mics. Perfect. I have had it repaired twice in 21 or so years, at $100 a pop. If it ever dies, I will purchase another one.

• Members

Those old tanks are just a testament to the reliability of a lot of the gear Peavey has put out over the years. Heck, I still see a lot of XR600B's in service, despite a quarter century of abuse and neglect.

I've got an XR600C that's unbustable. I've run it at less than 2ohms before and it just got kind of hot. Still works fine, though I'm much more cautious of the ohms ratings of the cabs I'm using these days.:D

I just got it back from my cousin with 6 broken pots, he broke the shafts. Can I get replacements direct from Peavey?

C7

Archived