OT: Books You'd Like to See Movie-fied

blueyedmule

• Members

My pick right now, Door To Door: An Epic Memoir of War by SSG David Bellavia. It's his story of the Second Battle of Fallujah. Maybe now's not the time, then again maybe it is. Politics aside, this guy's story would be HUGE on the big screen. You've got everything from the wide-scope of desert warfare with all the big lights and explosions narrowed to his platoon's actions in the first several days' time in Fallujah, finally narrowed down to his solo hand-to-hand combat inside a house with a total of six insurgents, five of whom he took on and killed, one with his Gerber knife. The sixth was found when the rest of his squad finally entered and finished clearing the house. Bellavia's book isn't sensationalistic, despite the fact this guy did sensational things. It's a great read and I think would make a great movie.

Your pick?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lullabye by Palahniuk

+1

I was also thinking Invisible Monsters. Seems like I heard a rumor a few years ago they were trying to get that made. I guess it hasn't gotten far. Haunted also gets my vote, too. The swimming pool scene ought to sell some tickets.

• Members

The Mote in God's Eye would make a great movie. So would Friday by Robert Heinlein.

I think the Dark Tower series would be terrible as a movie series. It would take about fifteen movies to tell the whole story, since there isn't much that can be cut out. And I just don't think a lot of it would translate to the screen very well.

R. A. Salvatore's The Crystal Shard would make a great movie. Drow elves, barbarians, dragons, demons, sorcery ... it's a simple enough storyline to translate well to the big screen, but complex enough not to be boring.

I'd really like to see a trilogy of Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicles. It's a long way from the best fantasy series around, but it's certainly one of the most popular. And while I thought their Dragonlance Legends story was better, without the Chronicles the Legends story wouldn't make much sense.

Lloyd Alexander's The Prydain Chronicles would make good movies if Disney hadn't already done The Black Cauldron as a cartoon.

• Members

+1

I was also thinking
Invisible Monsters
. Seems like I heard a rumor a few years ago they were trying to get that made. I guess it hasn't gotten far.
Haunted
also gets my vote, too. The swimming pool scene ought to sell some tickets.

Poor No-guts.

I still haven't read Invisible Monsters, but Survivor and Choke are two brilliant hilarious books.

Archived