John East U-Retro Users...

RSBro

• Members

The retro is really pricey!!!
:eek:

I went with the Audere JZ3 instead. Maybe check out what Audere have to offer?
:)

The Audere stuff looks cool.

I'm talking to Tony right now (have an email to him) for some suggestions. I know Audere and East both are pretty top-notch designs.

• Members

Those U-Retro preamps get a lot of love, but I have to agree an Audere seems to offer the same options, and has some extra's I don't think any of the others do. First is the Z mode, which alters the pickup impedence. It's a three way switch that gives low, mid and hi Z impedence, and has three distinctive tones. It's really a cool feature, and adds a lot to the bass' tone options. Also, Audere lists their eq specs differently, but I believe their bass control is a higher freq center than the U-Retro or Aggie. It adds lots of beefy brawny bass without as much boominess, at least compared to the OBP-3 whose bass eq is centered at around 40 hz (?). Also the Audere uses the same kind of tiny, but really solid and high quality pots as the ones in your U-Retro link, and has a very slim module. The Module also give you seperate gain adjustments for each pickup, as well as individual z mode adjustments. It's at least worth looking at if you're considering the U-Retro, but either are great preamps.

BTW, what don't you like about your bass' tone and what do you want to improve?

• Members

Thanks for the info mang!

I really was looking at the U-Retro mainly b/c Steve Lawson uses them in his Quantums, and they sound DAMN fine!

I'll have to read up more on the Audere stuff. It's a lot of data to just try and skim over w/out understanding it, really. :)

And basically, I donno how to put this, but the Aggy is simply too aggressive on this bass for my tastes. All my other Q's have had a Bart/Bart setup, and was much more "polite", I guess is the way to say it, and that's what my ears I think have grown accustomed to. Also, I play 99% of the time w/ IEMs, so I guess I can "sweat the small stuff" like small tonal differences you hear from different preamp setups. I just am not totally satisfied with the tones I get from it, so might as well try and get it right while it's somewhat new.

• Members

And basically, I donno how to put this, but the Aggy is simply too aggressive on this bass for my tastes. All my other Q's have had a Bart/Bart setup, and was much more "polite", I guess is the way to say it, and that's what my ears I think have grown accustomed to. Also, I play 99% of the time w/ IEMs, so I guess I can "sweat the small stuff" like small tonal differences you hear from different preamp setups. I just am not totally satisfied with the tones I get from it, so might as well try and get it right while it's somewhat new.

Hmmm, are you sure that it isn't the pickups themselve you're not digging? An OBP-3 is designed to be dead flat with all the pots centered, and if you center them up and switch between active and bypass, you should hear a virtually identical tone. If this tone is not doing it for you, then it might be the bass or pickups themselves you don't like. Just a thought. I have a two OBP-3 basses, a Nordie P/J and a dual Bart P2, and each sounds very different with the same three band OBP-3...

• Members

Hmmm, are you sure that it isn't the pickups themselve you're not digging? An OBP-3 is designed to be dead flat with all the pots centered, and if you center them up and switch between active and bypass, you should hear a virtually identical tone. If this tone is not doing it for you, then it might be the bass or pickups themselves you don't like. Just a thought. I have a two OBP-3 basses, a Nordie P/J and a dual Bart P2, and each sounds very different with the same three band OBP-3...

I guess it's a possibility, but like I said I've had 2 or 3 Q5's w/ the Bart pickups and Bart 3-band, and they sounded what I "hear" in my head that Moduli are supposed to sound like.

This is VERY very different, so I'm not sure if it's the pickups or the ash body or the preamp or what, but it sounds not what I was expecting, I guess is the easiest way to put it. And of course not that it's BAD, but, the more I play it I wish it would just "sound right", or like I want it to. :)

• Members

I was looking at pres awhile back, and decided that if I ever build something new that I'd put an East into it. I really liked the Audere too...but something about the East just sang to me.

If it'd fit and wasn't a 3-band, I'd be putting that Aggy into my Dolphin, methinks...

• Members

Dang!

Talk about killing a thread!

fishing-sinker.jpg

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

;)

• Moderators

I guess it's a possibility, but like I said I've had 2 or 3 Q5's w/ the Bart pickups and Bart 3-band, and they sounded what I "hear" in my head that Moduli are supposed to sound like.

This is VERY very different, so I'm not sure if it's the pickups or the ash body or the preamp or what, but it sounds not what I was expecting, I guess is the easiest way to put it. And of course not that it's BAD, but, the more I play it I wish it would just "sound right", or like I want it to.
:)

You are going to miss the mark unless you go with the Bart pickups and preamp. That's the sound you are shooting for, that's the equipment to get it.

• Members

You are going to miss the mark unless you go with the Bart pickups and preamp. That's the sound you are shooting for, that's the equipment to get it.

As always, making sense when none is being provided elsewhere... ;)

• Moderators

As always, making sense when none is being provided elsewhere...
;)

I'm kind of a killjoy. :freak:

But seriously, I've played those electronics and I've played a few of these other preamps. I think that you are going to like it best if you stick with what you already know you like.

• Members

I'm kind of a killjoy.
:freak:

But seriously, I've played those electronics and I've played a few of these other preamps. I think that you are going to like it best if you stick with what you already know you like.

You're more than likely right.

I'm not exactly sure why I deviated from the tried and true formula...

Well, no actually I do- and that's b/c I was planning on keeping at least 1 or 2 of the other Q5's, so I wanted a little variety. Now that they're gone, I just need to get back to what I already know I like.

Although jeez, that U-Retro Deluxe is pretty dang sexy...

Archived