ALESIS 3630

GavinScott

• Members

Hey just bought an Alesis 3630 compression unit for my bass rig. Was wondering if I should run it in my effects loop or right after my bass guitar. Also, what are some reccomended settings for this thing, i'm new to compression so im not to familiar with the controls.

My Rig:

1984 Fender Japanese P Bass

Furman Power Conditioner

Korg Racktuner

BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Peavey Pro Bass 500 Head

Ampeg 8x10

• Members

try both configurations and use the one you like better. Use the attack control to vary the sharpness of attack. Long attack gives little mellower sound to attack, short attack keeps it as the instruments norm or makes it slighter crisper. Comps are most used to even out the volume or to increase sustain. I prefer comp/sustainer as first effect before anything else. Is one of the more subtle but useful effects for pro sound.

Experiment with yours and hear how it effects your sound, esp the perceived sustain and start of note (attack).

• Members

Hey thanks for all the responses they were all very helpful. I decided to get a compression unit because i use different techniques, slapping, tapping, and pizzicato so i thought this would help with volume jumps. If the 3630 isn't a good compression unit for bass, what do you recommend? And im not sure what you mean by daisy chaining the two channels together?

• Members

Hey thanks for all the responses they were all very helpful. I decided to get a compression unit because i use different techniques, slapping, tapping, and pizzicato so i thought this would help with volume jumps. If the 3630 isn't a good compression unit for bass, what do you recommend? And im not sure what you mean by daisy chaining the two channels together?

Daisy chain: In the case of speaker cabinets, it's when you run the signal source into a speaker input, then run that same speaker's output jack into ANOTHER speakers input. In the case of your 3630, I believe it is a 2 channel compresser/limiter/gate? run your signal through channel 1's input, and put a patch cable across channel 1's output and channel 2's input. Then run channel 2's output as your output.

• Members

Dang!

And I thought this thread would be about a monster cab with thirty-six 30" drivers!

What a waste.

:mad:

I don't think that would fit into the back of my little RAV-4 as neatly as my 410 does.

:cop:

• Members

Hey thanks again guys for the responses, very informative. Im definately going to check out those settings for daisy chaining on the link. I was looking at a dbx 160a, but I got the alesis for 40 bucks. So i thought it would be cool to learn on that unit since im still a newbie.

• Moderators

Hey thanks again guys for the responses, very informative. Im definately going to check out those settings for daisy chaining on the link. I was looking at a dbx 160a, but I got the alesis for 40 bucks. So i thought it would be cool to learn on that unit since im still a newbie.

It is a good tool to use for learning, but it is limited in its quality of sound. It will serve you well until you decide you need better.

• Moderators

It serves me well. I've not decided I need better.

I can appreciate that. As it is I've decided I don't need any. Besides, fidelity is not the greatest desired attribute in MI amplification. My point was that whether or not it is the optimal compressor, as long as it works for the user, it is good enough.

Archived