foto flame jazz bass question

coolcat2

• Members

I have a questionable Fender foto flame jazz bass that I bought from a guy 8 years ago. I bought it for recording purposes, and never got around to recording so I am looking to sell it. However, the previous owner did some modifications to it. I believe he turned it into a fretless bass and sanded the back of the neck. From what I've been able to find about it online, the MIJ logo and serial number were on the back of the neck just above the body. I can not find a serial number or MIJ logo anywhere on the one I have, so I don't know if it could have been sanded off or if I have a fake. There is a Fender Jaz Bass logo on the headstock and a stamp in the neck pocket that says JB-62DT but nothing else. It came in a Fender hardshell case with EMG pickups and the original pickups. It looks just like this picture I found online: http://www.geocities.com/bassplayers4ever/Models.htmlAnything else I can do to determine if it is a real Fender? Thanks for your help, this is my first post.

• Members

Looks legit to me. Just looks like someone did some upgrading. Stripped poly finish on the back of the neck (some people find these sticky and hard to play), defretted (its common for people to do this, one of the posters here - Renfield, just defretted a Highway 1 Fender Jazz) and EMG's. (better sounding and less noise).

All in all I'd say you've got a great bass. :cool:

• Members

Thanks for all your input. How much do you guys think I can get for this considering there has been some changes to the neck? Also, can you actually see the Hamburglar in my pictures. I'm looking and not seeing it.

• Members

Thanks for all your input. How much do you guys think I can get for this considering there has been some changes to the neck? Also, can you actually see the Hamburglar in my pictures. I'm looking and not seeing it.

yep. it's on the headstock.

Here's an isolated shot off my old foto-jazz on the back of the neck so you can see what you are looking for:

IM001891.jpg

Yours is right by the string tree. Facing the other direction.

• Members

They were never sued by McDonald's, that's just internet nonsense.

Yup. Urban legend stuff. I did hear, however, that the guy responsible for the whole thing was fired.

Bottom line.........they are a really nice playing and well made japanese Fender.

• Members

Looks legit to me. Just looks like someone did some upgrading. Stripped poly finish on the back of the neck (some people find these sticky and hard to play), defretted (its common for people to do this, one of the posters here - Renfield, just defretted a Highway 1 Fender Jazz) and EMG's. (better sounding and less noise).

All in all I'd say you've got a great bass.
:cool:

:wave:

I also removed the gloss from the back of the neck for this reason. Though I then went a step further and changed the entire neck profuile and fretboard radius too.

I'd never put EMG's in a jazz, well anything for that matter, mine is likely getting Barts soon.

Nice looking bass. I had never heard this about the burglar before, interesting facts.

Archived