Roland Micro Cube Bass vs. Pignose Hog 20

Armchair Bronco

• Members

I've managed to convince my 2 boys (ages 9 & 10) that they could make some money this summer busking at the Seattle Center (doing covers of Nirvana, The Meat Puppets, The Wipers, and AC/DC).

I already have a red Micro Cube which is perfect for our 9-year-old guitarist, but his brother needs a BATTERY POWERED bass amp of his own...and he's got a birthday coming up next month, so I need some advice.

The two amps I'm considering are the new Roland Micro Cube Bass amp (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=940&ParentId=58) and the Pignose Hog 20 (http://www.pignoseamps.com/index.php?disp=detail&subcat=portamps&id=254).

If the Roland Bass Micro Cube is anything like my guitar Micro Cube but with more low-end, I'll be thrilled. I love my Micro Cube. But it's only 2.5 Watts (x2), and it's also kinda pricey.

The Pignose Hog isn't strictly a bass amp, but it might do the job, and at 20 watts it's got way more punch than the Roland. It's also about $100 cheaper. But it has mixed reviews on HC.

Are there other options?

• Members

The pignose will impress you more than you think.

Don't know about the Roland. It just came out, and this is like the 27th thread they've been mentioned in this week, so their ad dollar sure is buying them something! But, like you said, a little pricey. May have to but one just to see how it measures up to the Cube 30 and 100.

• Members

I've already got 3 Roland modeling amps: a red Micro Cube 30, a guitar Cube 30, and a bass Cube 30. All of them are awesome amps for what they do.

My boys are doing a Nirvana cover at their school's annual talent show, and I really wish I had a beefier bass amp for him -- he's competing with a 15-watt Tiny Terror connected to a 1x12 cab.

But for versatility, it's hard to beat the Cube 30 bass amp with all its models, compression, COSM effects, and inputs for our various drum tracks that actually sound pretty good. I have a feeling that Roland may have hit the sweet spot with the bass Micro cube. The fact that it runs on ordinary AA-batteries is a huge plus for me (versus a NiCad that will inevitably get the dreaded "memory effect"). The reviews so far have been good, and the on-line videos look impressive too. I just need to take one for a test drive and if it sounds good accept the fact that it commands a $100 premium.

• Members

I had a Pignose amp for my LP and didnt like it. It was cool and had some different sounds but it didnt tickle me.

I have a micro cube and love it.

as far as a battery powered bass amp, I have no experience. I have plugged my bass into the cube and it sounds very restrained.

Does the bass amp HAVE to be battery powered?

If not I would look for a use Peavey 110 minx.... awesome little amp. I have had mine since 1993 and it still sounds great. I play it with a guitarist and a drummer once in a while at a place where I leave it

• Members

I had a Hog 20 for about five years, until the speaker and battery pack crapped out simultaneously (it was on loan at school over the summer, and I suspect it got beat up a bit).

It was fine for a low watt battery-powered amp. The tone is unremarkable, but doubt any one will notice in the application you've described.

• Members

Does the bass amp HAVE to be battery powered?

Yep, this is the only feature that's non-negotiable. I want my boys to be able to do impromptu outdoor busking "concerts" without having to worry about power outlets.

Specifically, I told the boys that if there were able to learn, say, 8 or 9 songs and then perform them at the Seattle Center "busker style" they might be able to earn $30 or $40 dollars. This got them pretty excited. But this'll only work if all their amps and pedals are battery operated.

seattle_center_fountain.jpg

• Members

Have you listened to the demo (video) on Roland's website ? That amp seems very nice... Plus, the drum beats, effects and headphone plug makes it a nice practice tool !

You say it's pricey... how much is it ?

Several online retailers are offering it for around $230.

Watch the 'Bay over the next couple weeks, and see if any online store tries to cut that.

• Members

Yep, this is the only feature that's non-negotiable. I want my boys to be able to do impromptu outdoor busking "concerts" without having to worry about power outlets.

Specifically, I told the boys that if there were able to learn, say, 8 or 9 songs and then perform them at the Seattle Center "busker style" they might be able to earn $30 or $40 dollars. This got them pretty excited. But this'll only work if all their amps and pedals are battery operated.

I hear ya.

I am sure the Pignose bass amp, roland or maybe a Gorilla will serve their needs.

I would lean towards the Roland line personally.

BTW

what are "outdoor Busking concerts?"

• Members

BTW

what are "outdoor
Busking
concerts?"

May I should have said "performance". But I tell my boys that they can have a concert since that sounds cooler! Naturally, it'll be outdoors at the Seattle Center, and since they'll have a coffin case open for donations, they'll be busking, too!

If you combine the 3 words you get an "outdoor busking concert" (not to be confused with an "indoor 'big hair' areana concert"). :thu:

• Members

May I should have said "performance". But I tell my boys that they can have a
concert
since that sounds cooler! Naturally, it'll be
outdoors
at the Seattle Center, and since they'll have a coffin case open for donations, they'll be
busking
, too!

If you combine the 3 words you get an "outdoor busking concert" (not to be confused with an "indoor 'big hair' areana concert").
:thu:

I understand the concept of the 3 words but

I should have just highlighted the one word I still dont get.

Busking

:confused:

• Members

According to the video, you can play the Micro Cube Bass for an hour each day at *full* volume and not have to change the batteries for at least 2 weeks! I get 20+ hours with my guitar Micro Cube, so given the larger size and output of the bass Micro Cube, I think that 14+ hours is pretty damn good.

wow thats impressive . had a little peak at them. look pretty cool

• Members

Wikepedia:

Busking:

Busking is the practice of doing live performances in public places to entertain people, usually to solicit tips. Those engaging in this practice are called buskers. Busking is a British term used in many areas of the English-speaking world. In the United States, buskers are more often called street performers or street musicians.

• Members

Busking:

Busking
is the
of doing live
in
to
people, usually to solicit
. Those engaging in this practice are called
buskers
. Busking is a British term used in many areas of the English-speaking world. In the
, buskers are more often called
street performers
or
street musicians

Thanks

Archived