Headway Riverhead/Unicorn?

Michael Blue

• Members

Anyone heard of (or own?) one of these?

I've got one, and really don't know much about it.

It's a very lightweight headless 4-stringer with sort-of "fins" on the body...

Here's mine...

Headway-Riverhead-01.jpg

...And here it is in its current (needing refinished) condition...Next to my Cort B5FL (which I LOVE!).

MyStudio-20.jpg

Any other info would be greatly appreciated...Just love to learn more about it...

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Hi,

I have just come across your post here in search of more detail of these Riverheads. Yours appears to be the RUB-1095 with its 1x single coil and 1x humbucking pickup.

I acquired one about 15 years ago from a friend and even back then it was in a bad way. But being young and broke I simply played it as best I could before retiring it to a cupboard for storage. I have recently decided its time to breath some new life into this interesting bass.

After much googling I have determined that I have the Headway Riverhead Unicorn Bass RUB-1100 Custom Bass. This is based on the fact that it has 2 single coil pickups and 4 holes for volume and tone knobs. I have the original bridge and tailpiece as well as the original pickups. Although the pickups have take quite some abuse over the years. The 4 band eq however is completely missing. On the backside there are 2 access ports. I believe mine originally had and active 4 band equaliser which would've needed a power source, possibly 9v battery.

I would love to replace the eq with an equivalent as well as some new pickups. Im must admit though that I have very little knowledge of this kind of thing even though i have owned guitars for the last 15 years. So any suggestions would be greatly appreiciated.

I have just finished, this weekend, very carefully sanding the body and neck down to bare wood. Mine was originally the pearl white or pearl pink colour but was repainted orange, grey and then black. There was a lot of sanding to be done. Unfortunately im unable to see the original serial number that would have been stamped on the bottom near the tail piece.

I would love to see how yours came out if you still have it. I will post some pictures of mine when I get a chance.

Alex

• Members

Unfortunately, mine is still in precisely the condition pictured above. I was planning on having a friend with a bodyshop (who has done guitars before) help out and he passed. Not even sure where the hardware is anymore. I still hope to restore it someday, but not sure how or when that will happen now.

Archived