cheapest way to ship from US to Canada?

justinbass

• Members

USPS. Seems small things are the cheapest to send through the post office

I concur...

Also, just in case you weren't aware, if you're shipping a product to buyer in Canada, that buyer is responsible for taxes on the item. With USPS/Canada Post, it's hit or miss whether they'll get dinged on taxes, but at least there will be no brokerage fees like UPS and FedEx...

• Members

Incorrect. USPS is the best for something of that size, UPS is always the wrong answer regardless.

Not in my experience. UPS Worldwide Express Air Small Shipment is fast and we don't ever get dinged with brokerage fees or extra taxes. We get PC Boards from New Jersey and this has proven to be the absolute best shipping method for them. Any ground-based shipping involves brokerage fees and other crap. We've gotten good service from both UPS and Fedex with a minimum of hassles. Maybe we've been lucky.

• Members

Not in my experience. UPS Worldwide Express Air Small Shipment is fast and we don't ever get dinged with brokerage fees or extra taxes. We get PC Boards from New Jersey and this has proven to be the absolute best shipping method for them. Any ground-based shipping involves brokerage fees and other crap. We've gotten good service from both UPS and Fedex with a minimum of hassles.
Maybe we've been lucky.

Extremely. Everyone I know has a horror story about UPS and their high brokerage rates.

Myself, I once bought a small electronic device (drum machine IIRC) from a private seller in the US. Final sale price with shipping was $83USD. It had $56 or whatever the unit's sale value was written right on the tag.

It arrived and UPS asked for $116 for duty/taxes/brokerage fees and wouldn't hand it over until I gave them cash. :eek: A cheque wasn't good enough, they wanted cash money within 24 hours or it left, to be returned to sender.

Thankfully I just happened to have $120 in twenties in my pocket. He wouldn't make change, so left with it. I had to get it that evening from the local store/depot. :mad:

Never. Again.

• Members

In my experience (sending 10+ basses to Canada), USPS is the best option for the Canadian buyer, and least expensive for the US seller.

UPS the worst for the Canadian buyer.

Not enough data on FedEx.

How about DHL? They seem to be gaining ground on the big 3, here in the US at least.

• Members

Another -1 for UPS. We've never had them ask for us to pay brokerage fees on the spot, we just get a letter in the mail a week later basically saying we owe them $X, and if we don't pay within whatever time period they'll take us to court for it. We have to ask them on delivery if there's any fees owing and then opt to pick it up/pay for it later. At least with FedEx they give us the option of paying the duties ourselves, which costs a couple bucks in gas driving across town to do that, instead of $40 for the brokerage fee. Shipping through post is the best option IMO. They come to the door, ask for cash or credit card number. If we can't pay right away, the nearest depot is about 5 minutes away.

• Members

How about DHL? They seem to be gaining ground on the big 3, here in the US at least.

+1 DHL is great and they have the best prices of them all that I have experienced. If only I could find more sellers that would use them.

Usually eBay sellers want to use the most expensive option out there for listed rates (usually Fed Ex) then they charge you based on that, and send it out by USPS after. :rolleyes:

• Members

Keep in mind with some of the more expensive air services from UPS and FedEx, brokerage fees are included in the cost of shipping. The basic ground services from these companies usually have brokerage as an extra fee determined by the value of your package. There are usually brokerage fee charts available (hidden) somewhere on the websites.

You shouldn't pay duties if the item was made in North America (NAFTA).

Taxes are a completely different thing and seem to be completely at the whim of customs officials. I got a $400 bass bow the other day shipped USPS/Canada Post and I was not charged any taxes. However, I was charged taxes by Canada Post for having a $100 bass neck imported.

Also, I once built a bass from parts and by the time I was done, I had received 5 different shipments from basspartsresource.com in the US. If I remember correctly, 3 of the shipments were taxed, and 2 were not. They were all very similar value amounts as well...

My best advice for small packages is USPS - you can insure it if you like. If the value is under $60, you can mark it as a 'gift' and increase your chances of avoiding taxes (although it still doesn't guarantee it). Even larger packages (basses) are pretty safe through USPS/Canada Post if you insure it.

My $0.02...

• Members

Umm. DHL is laying off like 9,000 people and COMPLETELY stopping ALL (within U.S) deliveries and ONLY shipping International. This was in the news early last week.

IME ups/fed-ex/puro/DHL/UPS are ALL thieves and WILL charge you outrageous upfront and or hidden fees. They all shout be S.A.P.O IMO

I will continue to always deal with USPS. Best prices,no fees and great shipping experiences.

Also the Canadian customs is usually so busy the only get to inspect and or open less that 1 in 3 shipments. Therefore usually not having to pay duties and or taxes.

Archived