YouTube: Joni Mitchell and Jaco Pastorius

Perfessor

• Members

Sucked hard

Can you elaborate? I'm serious, I'm not trying to start a fight, I just want to know what specific things drew you to the conclusion that it "sucked hard".

I'm really curious about how or why different people like different kinds of music. When I listen to new music and find something I hate, I listen to it again and figure out why. Maybe I'm weird.

• Members

I was shocked when someone played a bunch of Jaco's own music for me and I didn't like any of it. He put on Joni and I immediately say, "Wow, I like that bassist." and my friend remarked, "that's Jaco."

Cool.

I like the stuff he did with Joni. But Jaco's own stuff is too damned abstract-feeling, and cluttered.

• Members

I saw Jaco live with both Weather Report and Joni Mitchell. Of course the Joni stuff is more palatable for those who aren't that into jazz, despite the jazz leanings of her band at the time it wasn't as hardcore as Weather Report. I liked both shows equally but it was cool seeing Jaco play more "songy" in Joni's band though because his melodic sense had to be more in tune with her. It's a similar effect that Bill Bruford's band had on Jeff Berlin since Bruford's brand of fusion was highly structured yet still left open spots for improvisation, which made these spots more dramatic and interesting IMO.

• Members

great band also : pat metheny, lyle mays, don alias and michael brecker

the shadows and light album is a must for all the fretless players. great job by mr p

I think it's a must for bass players in general. {censored}ing fantastic album.

• Members

Sucked hard

I'm a metalhead. I am not a Joni fan. I am not a Jaco fan.

But even I could appreciate that song. And that basswork. That was a GREAT song. Excellent vibe and feel, and those harmonics between the guitarist and Jaco were AMAZING sounds. Just delicious. And I've got band practice tonight, and my bass is in my office here to stay warm. Lunchtime comes, I'm figuring out that chorus!

Somebody educate my ignorant ass, and tell me what DVD that video was from, so I can go enlighten myself. Christmas is coming, I can put that on somebody's list!

• Members

I'm a metalhead. I am not a Joni fan. I am not a Jaco fan.

But even
I
could appreciate that song. And that basswork. That was a GREAT song. Excellent vibe and feel, and those harmonics between the guitarist and Jaco were AMAZING sounds. Just delicious. And I've got band practice tonight, and my bass is in my office here to stay warm. Lunchtime comes, I'm figuring out that chorus!

Somebody educate my ignorant ass, and tell me what DVD that video was from, so I can go enlighten myself. Christmas is coming, I can put that on somebody's list!

Yeah, it's off of Shadows and Light. The DVD is awesome..Don Alias, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, and Pat Metheney are in the band w/ Jaco and Joni. It's like 9 different kinds of awesome.

Archived