What's the deal with Aria Pro / Aria Pro II?

philthygeezer

• Members

:wave:

If they're branded Aria Pro II tuners then they're pretty good. Those are the late 70's, early 80's ones. If they're Gold finish and you want to get rid of them let me know. ;)

Back to the question at hand... Aria Pro II is a brand of Arai, a Japanese company that makes basses and guitars and other stuff. They shot to "fame" in the very late 70's and 80's when they had Matsumoku making their instruments. These were made in Japan and very high quality. Prior to this the "Aria" brand instruments were mostly rubbish.

These Aria Pro II's were mostly designed by Nobuaki Hayashi otherwise known as H. Noble. He still carries on today with Atlansia Guitars.

After Matsumoku went under in 1987, Aria made some instruments in Japan for a year or so then switched production to Korea mostly and then more recently China. Still some of the late 80's and 90's > instruments are pretty good. They still have some instruments made in Japan in their "custom shop" and as special models. :)

The most famous of the Aria Pro II bass models are the SB series, which stood for Super Bass (and later Super Balanced.) :D

I have three.... :p They can be heard on a lot of 80's recordings from Duran Duran to the Buggles to Metallica and lots more...

• Members

Thanks for the detailed info! They're chrome Aria Pro II tuners. Skinny little buggers. I thought I'd ream out the holes to standard size and put some 3/8" (?) Hipshot ultralites on the neck.

However, if the tuners are excellent tuners then maybe I should leave well-enough alone?

• Members

Thanks for the detailed info! They're chrome Aria Pro II tuners. Skinny little buggers. I thought I'd ream out the holes to standard size and put some 3/8" (?) Hipshot ultralites on the neck.

However, if the tuners are excellent tuners then maybe I should leave well-enough alone?

The latest SB I picked up has the "Aria Pro II" tuners. They just needed the washers replaced (from 25 years of use!), and now they rock. I was gonna change them out with Gotohs but there's no need now. :)

• Members

Actually, you can probably help me with that.

It was a single pickup. Bolt on. Passive. Natural headstock with tuners on one side. Body shape was similar to the B2000 (?) style. It said 'Pro II' on the headstock. I've looked for pics on the web but haven't found any.

• Members

The latest SB I picked up has the "Aria Pro II" tuners. They just needed the washers replaced (from 25 years of use!), and now they rock. I was gonna change them out with Gotohs but there's no need now.
:)

I've got 3/8" Gotohs here but they don't fit the tuner holes. Would you have had to ream?

• Members

Actually, you can probably help me with that.

It was a single pickup. Bolt on. Passive. Natural headstock with tuners on one side. Body shape was similar to the B2000 (?) style. It said 'Pro II' on the headstock. I've looked for pics on the web but haven't found any.

Do you mean BB2000? :confused:

If thats what you mean then it might have been a TSB. http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html

:idk:

• Members

The first bass I ever owned was this:

021766.jpg

Aria ProII "Thor Sound". It was good for its time; there were no other basses in the price range that had a similar quality level. Unfortunately, mine was a victim of carelessness. A friend was playing it. He stood it against the amp without paying attention, and over it went. Never sounded the same after that moment. I traded it at SamAsh some years ago for a Robelli 490 cheapo that sounded very good (sold a year later in favor of much better instruments).

• Members

Do you mean BB2000?
:confused:
If thats what you mean then
it might have been a TSB.
http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html

I took a chance on a TSB Standard on ebaY last year; it's 32" scale bass. The P pickup is fairly hot and quite sweet to my ears. Seems to be the same neck profile as on my Avanti series Carol Kaye (yeah I'm an APII fan).

A Rockin' little bass; Glad I picked it up. I was already thinking about taking it to a gig this evening as a backup, and to play My My Hey Hey and this crazy original we do. But my main bass tonight is a 35". ~IDK~

Archived