Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with Aria Pro / Aria Pro II?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with Aria Pro / Aria Pro II?

What the heck was or is an Aria Pro or Aria Pro II? I've seen pics of a couple good looking basses and someone with their logo on the avatar.

I have a USACG neck with Aria Pro II tuners on it. Are they any good?
    __________________________________________________ ____

Winner of the Bonoman Post of the Day Award! -09/10/03

If they're branded Aria Pro II tuners then they're pretty good. Those are the late 70's, early 80's ones. If they're Gold finish and you want to get rid of them let me know.

Back to the question at hand... Aria Pro II is a brand of Arai, a Japanese company that makes basses and guitars and other stuff. They shot to "fame" in the very late 70's and 80's when they had Matsumoku making their instruments. These were made in Japan and very high quality. Prior to this the "Aria" brand instruments were mostly rubbish.

These Aria Pro II's were mostly designed by
    Nobuaki Hayashi otherwise known as H. Noble. He still carries on today with Atlansia Guitars.

After Matsumoku went under in 1987, Aria made some instruments in Japan for a year or so then switched production to Korea mostly and then more recently China. Still some of the late 80's and 90's > instruments are pretty good. They still have some instruments made in Japan in their "custom shop" and as special models.

The most famous of the Aria Pro II bass models are the SB series, which stood for Super Bass (and later Super Balanced.)
    I have three.... They can be heard on a lot of 80's recordings from Duran Duran to the Buggles to Metallica and lots more...

Comment

One of my first basses was a Aria Pro II. Good bass.
      "Rightwing extremism in the United States - groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority."

S4001

So, what you're saying is, you got in a fight with Rickenbacker, and the Rickenbacker kicked your ass?-BP7770

In all my life I never dreamed I'd live to see a monkey washing a cat. Thank you. - Lug.

"I was just called a "guitard" on a different thread"- Rumble Bass "Welcome to HCBF."- Rastafarian NZ

Comment

Thanks for the detailed info! They're chrome Aria Pro II tuners. Skinny little buggers. I thought I'd ream out the holes to standard size and put some 3/8" (?) Hipshot ultralites on the neck.

However, if the tuners are excellent tuners then maybe I should leave well-enough alone?

Comment

One of my first basses was a Aria Pro II. Good bass.

Cool, what model did you have?

Comment

Thanks for the detailed info! They're chrome Aria Pro II tuners. Skinny little buggers. I thought I'd ream out the holes to standard size and put some 3/8" (?) Hipshot ultralites on the neck.

However, if the tuners are excellent tuners then maybe I should leave well-enough alone?

The latest SB I picked up has the "Aria Pro II" tuners. They just needed the washers replaced (from 25 years of use!), and now they rock. I was gonna change them out with Gotohs but there's no need now.

Comment

Actually, you can probably help me with that.

It was a single pickup. Bolt on. Passive. Natural headstock with tuners on one side. Body shape was similar to the B2000 (?) style. It said 'Pro II' on the headstock. I've looked for pics on the web but haven't found any.
              "Rightwing extremism in the United States - groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority."

S4001

So, what you're saying is, you got in a fight with Rickenbacker, and the Rickenbacker kicked your ass?-BP7770

In all my life I never dreamed I'd live to see a monkey washing a cat. Thank you. - Lug.

"I was just called a "guitard" on a different thread"- Rumble Bass "Welcome to HCBF."- Rastafarian NZ

Comment

The latest SB I picked up has the "Aria Pro II" tuners. They just needed the washers replaced (from 25 years of use!), and now they rock. I was gonna change them out with Gotohs but there's no need now.

I've got 3/8" Gotohs here but they don't fit the tuner holes. Would you have had to ream?

Comment

Actually, you can probably help me with that.

It was a single pickup. Bolt on. Passive. Natural headstock with tuners on one side. Body shape was similar to the B2000 (?) style. It said 'Pro II' on the headstock. I've looked for pics on the web but haven't found any.

Do you mean BB2000?

If thats what you mean then it might have been a TSB. http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html

Comment

Found it over at TB. Big Aria thread.

Mine was red.

S4001

Comment

Mine was red.

I used to have one of those. Wasn't a half bad bass!
                      -Stan
                      Big Life
                      ReverbNation

Comment

The first bass I ever owned was this:

Aria ProII "Thor Sound". It was good for its time; there were no other basses in the price range that had a similar quality level. Unfortunately, mine was a victim of carelessness. A friend was playing it. He stood it against the amp without paying attention, and over it went. Never sounded the same after that moment. I traded it at SamAsh some years ago for a Robelli 490 cheapo that sounded very good (sold a year later in favor of much better instruments).

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

My first bass was an Aria Pro II. Precision copy. Tobacco sunburst. Lovely.

Comment

woohoo Go the Aria.. love my two

Comment

Mine was red.

looks like an RSB

Comment

Working...
                              X