Need a recording interface for PC, help!!

Ender_rpm

• Members

So looking ta it righ now, it looks like the MBox or Line 6 tone port models are int he lead. They seem popular, but I've read that you can't save your work with the Line 6 software. Can it be used with another type of software? I'll most likely go with Audacity or another free software suite, so obviously, compatibility is key. I have no fear od installing a PCI board if that'll be faster, but basically I'd like to lug in my Boss processors, keyboard/drum machine, and a mic and make little demos for prospective try outs. I'd like to keep it under $500, preferably under $300. Ideas?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no fear od installing a PCI board if that'll be faster, but basically I'd like to lug in my Boss processors, keyboard/drum machine, and a mic and make little demos for prospective try outs. I'd like to keep it under $500, preferably under $300. Ideas?

I have a POD Studio UX1, which works through the USB port on my MacBook. It takes power from the USB plug, so you don't need a wal-wart or anything. Makes for a very portable package: all you need is your laptop, the UX1, and some decent headphones. You don't even need to plug in your laptop!

I was concerned about using a USB interface, especially since my I've got firewire capability on the laptop. But I've found there no significant latency when playing or recording. So, I wouldn't sweat it.

• Moderators

Emu 1616M. Great digital converters.

I have several years of experience with the emu system. The one I used (1820m) has been discontinued, but the 1616m offers the same basic deal. on the "m" models the digital converters are simply sensational.

• Members

If I were buying one I'd give that cool Tascam control/interface a chance , it's cheap too , you may need a mini mixer if you want to mic everything but that will give you a left/right in so you would need to submix . Unless you get a multi-input device like a Maudio profire or some such. Usually the PCI card interfaces are more money the Maudio delta 66 being the one the breaks into lower cost options . I use a LynxL22 which is a high cost card along the lines of RME and the like but sounds killer. Most interfaces come with either protools or Cubase lite versions so you should be good with one of those .

• Members

Cool, thanks!!!

Bleepo- No drums, just for me in the office/bedroom, so 1-2 inputs is fine. (I sya that now, realizing I'll probably get sick of unplugging everything when I want to switch instruments)

Goofball- Cool, but no fire wire. Could isntall one, but then the price goes up.

I'll check out the EMu, Tascam (Used to have a portastudio, so maybe it'll feel more familar?) and the Studio. Thanks all!!

• Members

Cool, thanks!!!

Bleepo- No drums, just for me in the office/bedroom, so 1-2 inputs is fine. (I sya that now, realizing I'll probably get sick of unplugging everything when I want to switch instruments)

Goofball- Cool, but no fire wire. Could isntall one, but then the price goes up.

I'll check out the EMu, Tascam (Used to have a portastudio, so maybe it'll feel more familar?) and the Studio. Thanks all!!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-FireOne-FireWire-Audio-Control-Interface?sku=241179

looks cool huh !

adaptec firewire card is about 35 ,40 bucks .

• Moderators
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-FireOne-FireWire-Audio-Control-Interface?sku=241179

looks cool huh !

a firewire card is about 35 ,40 bucks .

I use a Mackie Onyx 1640 w the firewire option now. Firewire is an awesome interface if one wants to look into firewire devices. It's far superior to USB for recording, IMHO.

• Members

Firewire is an awesome interface if one wants to look into firewire devices. It's far superior to USB for recording, IMHO.

I hear this alot. I record 11 inputs into my Tascam which is USB 2.0 with no issues. I don't get it, do I have magic usb?

• Members

at what bit rate and sample rate ? you usually can bump these up pretty high at lower latency with the better interfaces , the next step up is pro PCI and from there AES with high end AD/DA converters go big baby ~!

I run 24bit @ 44100. I don't see the need for higher for what I'm doing.

• Members

Emu 1616M. Great digital converters.

I have several years of experience with the emu system. The one I used (1820m) has been discontinued, but the 1616m offers the same basic deal. on the "m" models the digital converters are simply sensational.

I've got a chance to get one of those. Not sure if I'm gonna yet, gonna see on Friday. :)

Edit: I'm talking about the 1616 PCMCIA version.

• Moderators
I've got a chance to get one of those. Not sure if I'm gonna yet, gonna see on Friday.
:)

Edit: I'm talking about the 1616 PCMCIA version.

Are you talking about the version that has the card that goes in your laptop as well as the external input box? If so, let me know how that works. The have a new express card version of that. I'm really interested in adding that one for mobile applications.

• Members

Are you talking about the version that has the card that goes in your laptop as well as the external input box? If so, let me know how that works. The have a new express card version of that. I'm really interested in adding that one for mobile applications.

Yeah thats the one. Same breakout box as the PC version but it has a card for laptops instead of a PC card. Supposedly it works much better than USB or Firewire as the processing is done in the card itself rather than relying on the laptops processor. So, apparently this helps a lot with latency. :)

Sadly EMU discontinued it but I found a store with a return. If its still there I'm gonna get it tomorrow. :cool:

EDIT: Oh, its the 1616M... the one with the better preamps. :cool:

Archived