Carvin R600 Redline - why the hate?

maddmannmatt

• Members

I have had a Carvin Probass 300 head since 1992. I really like it but find it lacking in a few areas. For instance the bi-amping is external, unlike the PB 500. So if I want to bi-amp i'd have to get another amp to rig thru.

I currently have a 4x10 and a 15, both with 2.5 tweets and want to separate out my highs to the 4x10. I have missed a few ops to get a PB500 and sat in the corner and cried.

I noticed that now the Redline series is getting out there in the used market and have seen a few around. I looked at the manuals for the R600/1000 and noticed that it has just about everything I need in addition to the features found on the PB 300/500s. Plus the Redline series IIIs have a full-range mode which I could really use as well.

But when I look up here, people seem to think they are not as good as the Probass series.

So, give! What's the lowdown on the sound? Need to know before I try to do an "upgrade."

THXIA!

• Members

does carvin still do their upgrade program? i had an old probass 500 a long time ago, and if you contacted carvin, they'd give you like $300 off of an R-1000 head if you sent them your probass.

however, after playing with the r-1000 for about two hours, i sorely missed my probass. the r-1000 just left me feeling very flat. the sound was lifeless, impossible (for me) to get even close to the sound i wanted, and i felt that the amp was terribly over-rated in the wattage department.

YMMV

• Members

They are rated as high power, but seem to lack headroom. I was also not able to get a good sound out of one. It always sounded a little distorted on the low end, no matter what cab I used.

YMMV........but my scenario seems to be pretty consistent with others, so........

• Members

Play the amp, and if you like it, buy it. Who gives a fuck what everyone else thinks?

+1 :thu:

Personally, I tend to like things that get a ton of good reviews... or a ton of bad reviews. But I can't think of anything that I've liked that got mixed reviews. And the R1000 got a lot of mixed reviews. So I passed on buying one. :idk:

But that's just me.

If you like it, buy it. As for reliability, the R600/R1000's seemed to have some issues. But most of which were right out of the box. If it's still running good, you're probably in the clear.

• Members

Play the amp, and if you like it, buy it. Who gives a {censored} what everyone else thinks?

Playing it actually involves purchasing it first. Not gonna do that unless I have a good idea of what it can/can't do from experienced users.

Thus the post.

• Members

Playing it actually involves purchasing it first. Not gonna do that unless I have a good idea of what it can/can't do from experienced users.

Thus the post.

If you live close by you can try out the one that my church owns.

I've played through it a number of times, but ended up buying a combo so I wouldn't have to anymore. I don't like the sound of it.

• Members

I had one for two years.Could never quite get the bottom end I wanted without it starting to deteriorate. Was running into a 2-10,and a 1-18,mind you. Got the SWR 900. WOW!!! The Carvin speakers were good speakers. The whole problem was not just that amp. Was using a custom made Carvin 5string.At the same time I switched to SWR,I got my EBMM sr5. I don't hate Carvin. Carvin has some decent stuff,and they have some good stuff,but the Redline 1000 sounded like it was redlined from day one. Truly a turd.

• Members

I've been using one for a while and haven't had any issues. Tone wise it seemed to like my USA Peavey Millennium 5 Plus better than my '51 Precision. Unfortunately, I really like my '51 P-Bass more than my Peavey so I went and bought a different amp, ironically a Peavey Firebass 700, that sounds great with my '51.

• Members

I had one for two years.Could never quite get the bottom end I wanted without it starting to deteriorate. Was running into a 2-10,and a 1-18,mind you. Got the SWR 900. WOW!!! The Carvin speakers were good speakers. The whole problem was not just that amp. Was using a custom made Carvin 5string.At the same time I switched to SWR,I got my EBMM sr5. I don't hate Carvin. Carvin has some decent stuff,and they have some good stuff,but the Redline 1000 sounded like it was redlined from day one. Truly a turd.

Biamped or chained (series)?

• Members

agreed that if you can find one to try, get it if you like it.

I also have a probass 300. I got an r600 to replace it and was very disappointed. It had a very nice sound, and the biamp capabilities were very nice. BUT it was sadly underpowered. I was expecting 600 watts to be twice as powerful as my probass300, but no matter how the 600 was set up, it didn't have the power of the probass. I sold the r600 (for quite a loss as you can imagine) and went back to the 300

• Members

I tried every way!!! for real. The best I could do was bi-amp and run mostly that 18! I'm really not a Carvin basher. i didn't realize how high the suckage factor was till I got that SWR.

The difference between a Redline 600 and an SWR is anywhere between $200 - 500. That includes the unicorn that is the SM-400! Problem with the 400 is noise. I really dig the SM-400 sound but I always loved the noisegate on my Carvin. Spoiled me. I once attempted to replace it with a Trace Elliot (pre-gibson) and it was really noisy. So I get rid of the T/E. Never would have thunk a Carvin would trounce a T/E!

It's just seems weird to me that the replacement for the Pro Bass line would be worse. You know? Sort of counter productive!

• Members

The difference between a Redline 600 and an SWR is anywhere between $200 - 500. That includes the unicorn that is the SM-400! Problem with the 400 is noise. I really dig the SM-400 sound but I always loved the noisegate on my Carvin. Spoiled me. I once attempted to replace it with a Trace Elliot (pre-gibson) and it was really noisy. So I get rid of the T/E. Never would have thunk a Carvin would trounce a T/E!

It's just seems weird to me that the replacement for the Pro Bass line would be worse. You know? Sort of counter productive!

Can dig! Just read a thread dealing with the same amp,and dude got something soldered that made it better,but... BTW SWR replaced the 400 with the SM 500,I'm pretty sure.My first SWR was the 400 so I know what you are saying about "noise". I believe the 500 dealt with that,AND added 100 watts!

• Members

I have to chime in on this. I went from the Carvin Pro 300 to the Carvin Redline 600, and was severly disappointed. Compared to the Pro 300, the Redline 600 I received was a piece of junk. No tone, no headroom, no real volume. One side of the amp crapped out and fortunately a friend of mine was able to correct a problem with a cold solder joint. I kept the amp for about two years and was never satisfied with its tone or performance. Sold all my Carvin gear and became a GK disciple. Loved the Pro 300 before I foolishly sold it during my "retirement".

• Members

I have to chime in on this. I went from the Carvin Pro 300 to the Carvin Redline 600, and was severly disappointed. Compared to the Pro 300, the Redline 600 I received was a piece of junk. No tone, no headroom, no real volume. One side of the amp crapped out and fortunately a friend of mine was able to correct a problem with a cold solder joint. I kept the amp for about two years and was never satisfied with its tone or performance. Sold all my Carvin gear and became a GK disciple. Loved the Pro 300 before I foolishly sold it during my "retirement".

And there you go. This guy was the one I mentioned above.

• Members

same here pretty much.. luckily I didnt get rid of the 300, and went back to using it, then eventually wound up with a behringer 4500 (hey it cost me 100 new) and even though I wasn't impressed with it, it was louder and had more headroom than the r600. Then I wound up with the brx1200... awesome amp

• CMS Author

Thus the post.

Then that's an excellent reason to exclude this amp. Asking a bunch of well-meaning folks who have different ears, tastes and experiences from yours is a recipe for disaster. You'll still be demo'ing the amp if you get a lot of thumb's-ups and decide to buy it.

If carvin offered an easy and cost-free way to get the amp, try and it return it (meaning you don't have to pay return shipping at the very least) then it might be worth the time and trouble of buying for trying.

There are so many options out there that you can find right in your local shop it's simply not worth the risk/trouble of going through all that.

• Members

I definitely see a curve when it comes to Carvin reviews over the years. Seems a while back they were top notch, then they went through a period of not-so-good (likely do to cost cutting), and now they are back in a big way. I also believe that same dip occurred with their customer service and when you think about, it makes sense that the CS would go down the same time because now more customers are calling to complain, which overwhelms the CS reps who are likely fewer in number because of the cost cutting. That's just my theory.

The new Carvin catalog is amazing, especially the guitars (gorgeous). Lots of new PA gear too. Real nice PA speakers. The new bass amps come in colors. They're on the move!

• Members

Not to be a jerk or anything, but why then do we have a User Reviews section up here? :confused:

In a perfect world, yeah I would fly right over to where one was (mind you this is not a new amp and they don't make them anymore so I'd actually have to FIND one first :facepalm:) and play the livin fooboo outta it before I dropped any money on one.

Alas none of the above is going to happen. Therefore I rely on the well-intentioned opinions of the people who have actually experienced this unit. So far they have given me good information. I may even just spring for a brand spanking new BX1200 this week since I can get a trade up discount as well as a $100 instant rebate right now.

So to all who participated here: THANKS!!! :thu:

Then that's an excellent reason to exclude this amp. Asking a bunch of well-meaning folks who have different ears, tastes and experiences from yours is a recipe for disaster. You'll still be demo'ing the amp if you get a lot of thumb's-ups and decide to buy it.

If carvin offered an easy and cost-free way to get the amp, try and it return it (meaning you don't have to pay return shipping at the very least) then it might be worth the time and trouble of buying for trying.

There are so many options out there that you can find right in your local shop it's simply not worth the risk/trouble of going through all that.

• Members

Not to be a jerk or anything, but why then do we have a User Reviews section up here?
:confused:

In a perfect world, yeah I would fly right over to where one was (mind you this is not a new amp and they don't make them anymore so I'd actually have to FIND one first
:facepalm:
) and play the livin fooboo outta it before I dropped any money on one.

Alas none of the above is going to happen. Therefore I rely on the well-intentioned opinions of the people who have actually experienced this unit. So far they have given me good information. I may even just spring for a brand spanking new BX1200 this week since I can get a trade up discount as well as a $100 instant rebate right now.

So to all who participated here: THANKS!!!
:thu:

The problem with the User Reviews section is that you get two types of posts there: "I love it" and "I fucking hate it".

The Carvin gear can be good bang-for-buck stuff, but the issues that some people here have go beyond the products and on to the customer service at Carvin when they had an issue. Apparently they're super responsive when you're buying a product, but if there's a warranty or shipping issue, it's like calling a government agency.

The other issue people have had is resale. If they decide they want to sell their Carvin gear to upgrade or whatever, they take a disproportionate hit on value. They're next to impossible to sell on the used market.

C7

Archived