Bought some new (to me) guns yesterday...

J.

• Members

I met this old codger who collects firearms at a Gander Mountain store, and went over to his condo to do some dealing. He was a stubborn bugger and wouldn't budge a bit on price (like the new Guitar Center policy!), but I had my mind made up to buy beforehand so I didn't end up getting the best deals. Either way, I didn't get ripped off too horribly bad. He tried to lowball me on my Remington 1100 (with Weaver scope, shot and slug barrel) with a $200 trade offer, so I turned him down on that.

Anyway, here's what I got:

ruger.jpg

Ruger Vaquero single action revolver in .45 Colt. $500

You can get them new for that price and the simpler versions for a little less online, but I wanted this as a gift for my Dad. It's a used gun, but in "as new" condition. The MSRP on this particular model was $725 so I didn't get hosed too bad. It also has a true hammer forged frame, which the newer ones don't. Most of the old cowboy revolvers today (like those by Uberti) just have a print on the metal to simulate that old style. It's also a limited edition, although Ruger has like a thousand "limited edition" firearms every year.

golani_sks.jpg

Israeli Golani in .223 and a Chinese Norinco SKS in 7.62x39mm. I paid $450 for the Golani and $200 for the SKS. Not great prices, but not too bad. The Golanis are going for $600 and up on Gunbroker and old SKS rifles are taking at least $250.

I ended up spending a lot more money than I thought I would (I anticipated trading in my shotgun for a fair value) but hey, guns are guns.

Oh yeah, the ATM shorted me $20!!! :mad: I'll have to contact the bank.

Anyway, the Revolver will be for my Father, and I might unload the SKS for a quick fifty buck profit. I'm keeping the Golani, since prices on those are really going up.

• Members

Nice!!! I love the SKS....I shoot a Yugo SKS and it's like butter....I may actually use it for hunting some time in the next year or so.

Good call on the 1100....Hell - I could see that price for an 870 express maybe.....

I've never seen or shot a Golani - looks like it could be great fun.

Good for you!

I'll be handgun shopping when my tax return comes in :o

• Members

Damn, guns are kinda expensive.
:(

Yes they are, and prices are only going up. My cousin bought his Mossberg 500 series 12 gauge (black/synthetic, 18.5" barrel, 8-shot) for $180. They're $350 now. You used to be able to get crappy Romanian WASR AKM clones for $200 everywhere. Now the cheapest you can find them for is $450, and they're all out of stock. I've seen them take close to $600 at gun shows. Everyone is afraid the new congress and administration is going to pass some retarded ban, so it's buy Buy BUY!!!

• Members

Nice, man! :thu: I'm sure there would be all kinds of hassles involved with shipping it, but if that SKS is in great shape I'd make you an offer on it. I have a Norinco just like that, that my Dad gave me, and it'd be kind of neat to give him one too so we had a matched set. :)

• Members

$500 for that Vaquero?

I might could see the 1100 in trade even up for it, but those CAS guns seem to be all over the place in 45colt and 357mag.

Maybe a regional thing but I think $350 would have been max even at a show from a jobber's trade-in stack.

• Members

$500 for that Vaquero?

I might could see the 1100 in trade even up for it, but those CAS guns seem to be all over the place in 45colt and 357mag.

Maybe a regional thing but I think $350 would have been max even at a show from a jobber's trade-in stack.

I don't know about that - I see most of them in .44mag, and not all that many in .45colt...

- georgestrings

• Members

Things could have changed, I'll admit to being behind, but there used to be a lot of the CAS crowd who had shelled out $800-$900 for whatever doc holliday looking edition they happened to fancy and then figuring out just how heavy a 45 colt is. That, and lots of entry level stuff in 38cal that was being recycled.

The one I thought would be nice to have was a lever/wheelgun setup in 32 H&R mag, but they are still not as common as I would have thought by now.

But my gaming days are long over. Too much driving, too much stress.

• Members

$500 for that Vaquero?

Yeah, I thought it was high, although I see them going for that price on Gun Broker. I looked at the blue book he had and $500 was the price for 95% condition, which it is. I thought I'd be able to trade the 1100 straight up for it too, but he wouldn't. He did try to trade me a Marlin .22LR straight up for my Remington though. :rolleyes:

The current comparable Vaquero lists for $659, although it no longer has the hammer forged frame like mine. Mine is some goofy "special edition" (it even has a "fancy" plastic case that's different than the norm) so it's worth a bit more. I didn't get a steal, that's for sure.

EDIT: Here's the cheapest new price I could find on the comparable current Ruger offering:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83533

$544.89 plus shipping and FFL transfer fees (the cheapest in my area is $25). Besides, that one has a faux-hammer forged frame. It's basically a finish trick on the metal to make it look like something else. I assume they'd probably sell in stores here in the cities for about $600 plus tax. One thing I've noticed is that firearms usually sell closer to their list prices than musical instruments do. I'm used to getting 40% off list on guitars and basses, but it's near impossible to find on guns.

I've been to two recent gun shows, and everything was freaking overpriced save for some ammunition and accessories. I wouldn't doubt it's a regional thing though. I bet if I lived it Texas guns would be cheaper! :)

• Members

What about a cheap, crappy, 'Saturday Night Special' kind of gun? How much do those run for?
:o

You don't want one.

You can get a really nice .22 caliber handgun for cheap.

Look at the Walther P22 and the Sig Sauer Mosquito. About $350

If you want something really small, take a look at maybe a Kahr or a Wilkinson Sherry .22lr About $250.Or a Beretta Bobcat, about $250.

don't buy a cheap piece of crap firearm.

Archived