I ordered 6 SED "Winged C" 6550s for my SVT

jackcheez

• Members

My biggest priority in buying 6550/KT88 tubes is "will not melt in 400PS." I only have one sure test for that, unfortunately.

I did score 4 GE 6550As in an Ampeg V7. Damn tempting to throw in a mishmash of old tubes and return it to Guitar Center, but I can't quite bring myself to do it. Probably settle for buying some Sovteks for it and resell it, but knowing me I'll start playing around with it and end up liking it too much to sell it.

• CMS Author

My biggest priority in buying 6550/KT88 tubes is "will not melt in 400PS." I only have one sure test for that, unfortunately.

I did score 4 GE 6550As in an Ampeg V7. Damn tempting to throw in a mishmash of old tubes and return it to Guitar Center, but I can't quite bring myself to do it. Probably settle for buying some Sovteks for it and resell it, but knowing me I'll start playing around with it and end up liking it too much to sell it.

The 400PS is one nasty bastard with power tubes, and I doubt anything made today is up to the abuse that amp hands out.

• Moderators

What is it about these that makes them so good?? The SVT I bought had just been re-tubed with EHX - are they bad?

No. There are very few current production 6550s that are not well made. I like the Tung-Sols because they are copies of the GEs made on the same equipment as the originals.

• Moderators

Tung-Sol is a different company altogether, and as far as I know didn't buy GE equipment and move it to Russia.

Tung Sol is New Sensor (Sovtek) and you may be right about it not being the old GE equipment - I'm checking my memory against actual facts as now I'm remembering that the GE equipment wasn't moved to Russia, it went to China. I'll find the real answer later today.

• Moderators

No harm, no foul; I'm getting old too you know, and probably should have said GT 6L6 GE which is their better product.

But GT doesn't really have a product so to speak. They don't make anything themselves and they source their tubes from multiple suppliers. Buying GT tubes is just paying more for a product you won't be able to identify its source until after you have it in your hands.

• Members

But GT doesn't really have a product so to speak. They don't make anything themselves and they source their tubes from multiple suppliers. Buying GT tubes is just paying more for a product you won't be able to identify its source until after you have it in your hands.

I know they are a reseller.

I was referring to these which are made on GE tooling

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Groove-Tube-Gold-Series-GT-6L6-GE-Matched-Power-Tubes-219163-i1125742.gc

Archived