I Just Love Biased Reviews of My Band

squish_man24

• Members

So as some of you know, we played a show at my University in a Battle of the Bands competition called Last Band Standing. We came in 2nd place, and are advancing to the finals.

Here's what the person covering the event said about the show

EDIT: For those who don't know, my band is called Second Floor Escape

See the review here

or read this

Laurier gets folked up

Shannon Busta Feb 04, 2009

Folksters Andy's Ego walk away from last Thursday's round of Last Band Standing - ending a surprisingly eclectic night of music

* Image By: Kareem Larcher

It

• Members

I'm just wondering why it's "biased". Does the guy have a personal grudge against the band for some reason, or is the OP confusing bias with opinion.

If it's the later, then it's pretty hard to have reviews that are unopinionated. I have read some though and they are really funny.

• Members

I dunno guys, that was a pretty {censored}ed up show review. The author chugged the cum right out of the other bands' assholes, and then {censored}ing RIPS dude's band out of nowhere.

I don't know if I'd call it bias or what, but if my band got reviewed like that, given the context, I'd be pretty {censored}ing pissed, too.

C7

• Members

Wow... that is disgusting

Hey if I really trusted all reviews I would not be into half the music I am into now. I take them all with a grain of salt. People have opinions
:idk:

Opinions are one thing. What this amounts to is character assassination. Especially given how profusely the author praises the other bands.

I dunno, I think some of this stems from the scenesterism that runs rampant at some music...uh, publications that review local music. These clowns will go out and see a show for a band that's "in" their little circle of bands, and they'll write how it was the most awesome thing that's ever happened ever. And that's cool. But then they trash some other band for no real reason, other than to make themselves feel better or more "hip" or whatever. They could have just not said anything at all.

There's a lot of hypocrisy involved in this as well. If you were to sit down next to the author of the above review, and start talking about the local scene in town, he'd be the first person to champion the "art", "artistic integrity", and he'd be all about how more people "need to care about the music scene", and blah blah blah. All of those music writers are like that. Then, he'll turn around and {censored} on a local band just to do it, simply because it's not his preferred style of music. And then the next time the conversation comes up, he'll lament the local music audience and how it's not growing.

{censored} those guys.

C7

• Members

Initially, I thought the OP might have been whining about an honest review that was less than flattering - but after reading it again, I agree with C7's assessment... A closer look reveals that the "reviewer" glossed over the OP's band winning 2nd place, while half slamming them - if they were really as "run-of-the-mill" as the reviewer claimed, then why did they win 2nd place??? If the merits listed in the review were all that valid, one would think the OP's band would've finished last - but that wasn't the case...

To the OP - in this biz, ya gotta have a thick skin - instead of letting clowns like this bother you, use it as motivation... Odds are, this kinda bull{censored} will help you with the crowd that appreciates your music - and won't hurt you otherwise... Best of luck, dude - and don't let this kinda {censored} bother you any - it's going to happen...

- georgestrings

• Members

Initially, I thought the OP might have been whining about an honest review that was less than flattering - but after reading it again, I agree with C7's assessment... A closer look reveals that the "reviewer" glossed over the OP's band winning 2nd place, while half slamming them - if they were really as "run-of-the-mill" as the reviewer claimed, then why did they win 2nd place??? If the merits listed in the review were all that valid, one would think the OP's band would've finished last - but that wasn't the case...

To the OP - in this biz, ya gotta have a thick skin - instead of letting clowns like this bother you, use it as motivation... Odds are, this kinda bull{censored} will help you with the crowd that appreciates your music - and won't hurt you otherwise... Best of luck, dude - and don't let this kinda {censored} bother you any - it's going to happen...

- georgestrings

+1 She (the author) comes across as having a thing against 'screamo' she 'listened to in highschool' -

Dude - anyone who is still defining themsleves and the music they listen to etc. in comparison to what they did in highschool is not someone whose opinion is one to get down about! Take what you can from it to improve and soldier on.

She probably wrote her Dad a bad review too when he was a day late sending her allowance ;)

Archived