Steven Wilson's new album with Tony Levin....

ToeJamFootball

• Members

I'd like to hear it. I'm also interested in the new Chris Squire/Steve Hackett project which is supposed to produce a new CD soon. Hopefully it's not delayed due to Squire's recent blot clot (leg). I hope he's doing ok. I want to see YES with the new singer also.

• Members

Man I am glad I checked this thread cause I would not have otherwise known!:thu:

I am a big prog rock kinda guy and I love/grew up on bands like Genisis, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater and in the last year Porcupine Tree.

I love PT and their creativeness.....yes some of the stuff is out there but then they back it it up with moments of brilliance!

So that being said, I just went to iTunes and downloaded this album sight unseen :)

• Members

Man I am glad I checked this thread cause I would not have otherwise known!
:thu:

I am a big prog rock kinda guy and I love/grew up on bands like Genisis, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater and in the last year Porcupine Tree.

I love PT and their creativeness.....yes some of the stuff is out there but then they back it it up with moments of brilliance!

So that being said, I just went to iTunes and downloaded this album sight unseen
:)

+1

• Members

I was an outcast in high school (70's) because I was listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway while the others kids were into Kiss.

They could handle some YES and Emerson Lake + Palmer but once I put Gentle Giant on the turntable all hell broke loose. Then I took

them to a Gentle Giant concert and they got it. To this day Gentle Giant was the best live show I've ever seen. Their power and energy

was indescribable.

Our own Alan T. played some gig in central Illinois and Gentle Giant's guitar player (Gary Green) was his sound engineer. Small world it is..

• Members

Sounds good. I'm into anything where T Love is rockin hard. First time I've heard PPT. Sounds pretty cool.

Start with "In Absentia" and work your way forward. Then, hit "Stupid Dream", "Up The Downstairs", "Lightbulb Sun", "Sky Move Sideways", and then their live stuff, in that order.

• Members

I was an outcast in high school (70's) because I was listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway while the others kids were into Kiss.

They could handle some YES and Emerson Lake + Palmer but once I put Gentle Giant on the turntable all hell broke loose. Then I took

them to a Gentle Giant concert and they got it. To this day Gentle Giant was the best live show I've ever seen. Their power and energy

was indescribable.

Our own Alan T. played some gig in central Illinois and Gentle Giant's guitar player (Gary Green) was his sound engineer. Small world it is..

Hahaha...that is funny because I was in high school starting in 79 and I was served the same fate!! :facepalm: I was big into Genesis by 8th grade (thanks to my older brother) Lamb Lies down is one of the best albums ever, hehe. I liked the Who and such but Kiss...ugh...suck city! everybody thought my music sucked and something was wrong with me, LOL!

I also get A LOT of crap for like Dream Theater but oh well...I like bands that can really play their instruments and show some creativity. I am recently getting back in touch with alot of the old Yes stuff I liked.....ahhhh the good ole days! :thu:

Oh, and JeffBass I live in Munster, IN so not to far from Elk Grove.....:poke:

• Members

I agree. Insurgentes is some of Steven Wilson's most progressive and interesting work to date in my opinion. I'm a huge fan of Porcupine Tree and that's where I get most of my Steven Wilson fix from. I've listened to the Blackfield stuff and I like it, but I haven't devoted enough time to them to consider myself a "fan" yet...I'm still digesting the Porcupine Tree back catalog, which is massive.

Steven Wilson has said that Insurgentes is the first time he's been able to put all of his influences into a single recording. You can hear the electronica of No-Man, the drone based sounds of Bass Communion, the prog rock of Porcupine Tree and some of the pop sensibilities of Blackfield. There also is a strong industrial noise influence. It's incredible the way he's managed to take all of those influences, shake them together, and come out with something that not only sounds cohesive but also relevant. I think it's really interesting and excellent. But it is rather dark...not that I'm surprised by that since it is Steven Wilson and most of his stuff has those tendencies. Personally I'll probably always be partial to his Porcupine Tree stuff, but Insurgentes is by far my second favorite project of his so far.

Archived