New Mexico forumites?

Oldtimer

• Members

My wife and I are going to take a road trip down to New Mexico. Any suggestions on things not to miss? We'll probably spend a few days in and around Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but are willing to branch out from there.

You must eat at either Little Anita's or The Frontier Restaraunt, and I'd have at least one Blake's Lotaburger (with Green Chile).

Bandalier Nat'l Monument is cool, Old Town in both Santa Fe and Albuquerque are must-dos, and if you can get a chance to see Hilary Smith sing, go for it. She's amazing (we're old College chums)!

Hilary's website!

• Members

When are you going? If you are near abq during the second week of October, you should check out the balloon fiesta. Largest hot air balloon festival in the world. Very cool, especially if you've never been around one. You

can go onto the field and watch hundreds of them launch. Highly recommended!

• Members

Little Anita's sounds familiar, but I'm not sure where it is.

The Frontier is in Albuquerque on Central right across the street from UNM. I've only been there a few times, but it's a cool place to get some good, cheap food and do some people watching.

Blake's are everywhere. Get their green chile cheeseburger.

It's been a while since I lived in NM, but my wife and I go down there about once a year to visit family. We take a day or two & head to Santa Fe each trip. The Georgia O'Keefe museum is very cool. There's some good deals to be had on turquoise jewelry if you look around and haggle with the street vendors. The stores and restaurants on/around the plaza are pricey. You'd find better meals and deals if you walk/drive away from the tourist traps. The best food we've had there came from a "roach coach" truck in a parking lot near Jackalope (a huge store full of weird, random souveniers & crap).

I can't stand Albuquerque and spend as little time there as possible. I don't have a good reason to hate it, but the whole town makes my spidey sense tingle. You pretty much have to go through it to get anywhere else, so fill up at the Frontier, explore Old Town, and if you have the time (especially around sunset), the view from the top of the Sandia Tram is impressive.

Other than that, it depends on what parts of the state you're going to be visiting and what you're interested in. There's a little bit of everything down there. When I lived there, I thought it was nothing but heat, dirt, and tumbleweeds, but now that I get to play tourist when I visit, I've learned it's got a lot more to offer.

• Members

Hmmmmm....

Yes, the Frontier. Eat green and red chile. Old Town Albuquerque can be fun. Go up the Tramway, in Albuquerque, a SPECTACULAR view of mountains and high desert landscape, and a beer that high up gets you smashed! THere is also a Pueblo Cultural Center in town.

See my band The Daddy Os if we are playing in town!:thu:

Santa Fe is gorgeous, there is now a train between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, worth taking. In Santa Fe, eat at the Zia Diner on Guadalupe Street, go the the Paris Cafe at Burro Alley, check out the Cathedral, and the old Loretto Chapel. Santa Fe is a blast to just walk around and hang out, if you like art, go to the Geogia O'Keefe museum. And the New Mexico History Museum right on the plaza. Great restaurants abound.

Go to the Jemez Mountains if you can, they are quite beautiful and not far away.

• Members

When are you going? If you are near abq during the second week of October, you should check out the balloon fiesta. Largest hot air balloon festival in the world. Very cool, especially if you've never been around one. You

can go onto the field and watch hundreds of them launch. Highly recommended!

We will be there during the Balloon Festival. Is hotel space a problem during that time? We've been in the area before when my son was going to NMHU in Las Vegas, NM. We've driven through Taos and the back way to Las Vegas, just never got South of there.

• Members

Im not sure about hotels, I've always stayed with friends when I've gone. It might be a problem finding rooms, and I'm sure the prices will be higher. Maybe there are some places on the outskirts of the city that won't be a expensive? It may be easier to get rooms during the week, as the weekends are crazy during the festival. Honestly not sure, but it is completely worth t if you've never seen it before.

• Members

We will be there during the Balloon Festival. Is hotel space a problem during that time? We've been in the area before when my son was going to NMHU in Las Vegas, NM. We've driven through Taos and the back way to Las Vegas, just never got South of there.

You better get a reservation before you come. Usually the hotels are booked during Balloon Fiasco but with this economy you might be able to get a room.

Every first Saturday of October Trinity Site at White Sands opens to visitors and is an interesting thing to see. While you are down there, you can also visit the Owl Bar and the Buckhorn and sample what are considered two of the best GCCB's (Green Chile Cheese Burgers) offered. The VLA is off I25 between ABQ and San Antonio so between Trinity and the VLA you can have a nice day trip. We like El Charrito for NewMex food which is on Central just across the river from Old Town. East of Old Town is Route 66 Malt Shop which was judged as having one of the 10 best root beers in the world. And of course, Frontier.

In Santa Fe, I like El Farol, Evangelo's Bar, The Shed and Tomasita's.

I won't be in town the weekend 10/03 but the weekend before and possibly the weekend after. PM me anyway when you get in town. I live just SE of Old Town in the Huning Castle neighborhood.

• Members

My wife and I are going to take a road trip down to New Mexico. Any suggestions on things not to miss? We'll probably spend a few days in and around Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but are willing to branch out from there.

Eat at Tomasitas (in Santa Fe) and Blake's Lottaburger (everywhere). At Blakes, make sure you get green chili on your burger. At Tomasitas, I recommend the roast beef burrito smothered in green, but everything there is good.

Also, make sure you get some real carne seca (beef jerkey). The green chili cured is my favorite, but it's all awesome.

I've heard the tram up the mountains is cool, but I've never done it.

Old town Santa Fe is cool. Never been to old town Albuquerque.

• Members

Man, if you've got some time to go over Cumbres Pass on the way back to CO, do it. It's one of the most beautiful drives I've ever taken.

• Members

As for Blake's Lotaburger, many of us have boycotted them because of the
company president's support of California's Proposition 8
. It's been tough but there are plenty of other excellent GCCBs in the Duke City.

Yeah, screw them then. This made me laugh:

" "I'm glad that it [Prop 8] won," he said. "We here are not against homosexuals, and they're fine to do as they wish, but we believe marriage is for having children." "

How many children are conceived and/or raised out of wedlock? Isn't it pretty much most of them?! :lol:

• Members

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. The wife and I made a list and we're gonna see how many we can cover.

Without getting either morally or politically judgmental, why do people in New Mexico care about a ballot prop in California? I must be missing something here.

Anyway, thanks again! Anything else, keep 'em coming.

Archived