Active to passive electronics...Please help

brattbugg

• Members

I have aquired a OLP MM32 5 string. I love the way it plays but I absolutely hate the active electronics. Does any one know if the stock OLP pickups will work in a passive mode, just wiring them into volume knobs. I dont like the 3 band eq. I would like it to be volume controls only. If not who makes MM pickups that are passive? Thanks Myke

• Members

I can't speak directly to the OLP, but I have recently converted an active bass to passive. If you can't find someone with the same bass who has already done it, you need to find out first if the pickups have enough output on there own. A meter reading will tell you that. The second thing you'll need to do is change the pots.

• Members

If I remember from years ago, there used to be a switch or even a push / pull pot that allowed it to go from Active to Passive - something about a "failsafe" in case the battery failed.

I can't remember if it was for a guitar, bass, or who made it though...

Let me see if I can find anything in my "guitar electronics for musicians" book later.

• Members

Yes, it should work. In this case (and most cases with active instruments) the pickup is passive and it has a preamp with EQ.

You could remove the preamp and rewire it with passive controls.

Yes, these basses have a passive pickup.

I had a Stingray that ran without the battery. Output was pretty low, however; these basses are designed for an active eq.

• Moderators

Thanks for the help guys. I took the preamp out, wired in a 250k volume pot, and it sounds great now. Man I hated that preamp!

Sorry I missed this the first time around. That preamp sucks. The Aggie is a good replacement, but like you, I'm a passive guy. Glad you got it all set up now.

Archived