USB microphones?

Crescent Seven

• Members

I have a DAW that I like, but there are too many steps between recording to the DAW to an mp3. Gotta record, mix down to track 7/8 (in real time), then convert to WAV, then send to the computer via USB, then either convert straight to mp3, or send to a multitrack editor to tweak, which is a requirement in 90% of cases.

I bought the netbook and it runs Cool Edit Pro like a champ. I'm not looking for mastered CD quality recordings from it, so would a USB microphone be a good option for recording rehearsals with this unit?

C7

• Members

IMO, your best bet would be to get a USB input device (like a Toneport UX1 or similar) so you can use a regular microphone. I can't imagine there would be USB mics that are worth a {censored}.

They sure have some that are expensive as {censored}.:D

I'm looking for easy and quick. A toneport would be nice as well, but over time, all but one of my mics have disappeared, so I'd have to buy another mic. :idk:

What I don't want to do is buy the mic and have it turn out to be a distorted, latency-riddled nightmare. I figured a direct USB mic might work better than a toneport style unit due to said latency.

C7

• Members

IMO, your best bet would be to get a USB input device (like a Toneport UX1 or similar) so you can use a regular microphone. I can't imagine there would be USB mics that are worth a {censored}.

They sure have some that are expensive as {censored}.:D

I'm looking for easy and quick. A toneport would be nice as well, but over time, all but one of my mics have disappeared, so I'd have to buy another mic. :idk:

What I don't want to do is buy the mic and have it turn out to be a distorted, latency-riddled nightmare. I figured a direct USB mic might work better than a toneport style unit due to said latency.

C7

• Members

The latency comes from the bus just as much as the DAW. USB's not really built for low-latency recording.

It just dawned on me that if I'm running a single mic to record a rehearsal, which is all this is for, that I don't need to worry about latency.:D

I think I'm going to look at one of those portable mp3 recorders instead. I think that will be more useful in the long run, for recording shows as well as rehearsals.

C7

• Members

The Zoom H2 was designed to record rehearsals. 4 built-in mics, so you just put it in the middle of the practice space and it picks up everything. Lots of options, and easy USB downloading to a computer. And since it's been "superceded" by newer models, you can hunt one down cheap.

• Members

The Zoom H2 was designed to record rehearsals. 4 built-in mics, so you just put it in the middle of the practice space and it picks up everything. Lots of options, and easy USB downloading to a computer. And since it's been "superceded" by newer models, you can hunt one down cheap.

+1

I used mine yesterday at rehearsal.

Since you have CEP on your netbook, just pop the SD card from the H2 into your computer and tweak it if you'd like then save it as an mp3, wav or whatever.

Archived