Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greco Bass guitars

So what's up with these? I've heard great stuff about Greco Japanese basses and how some are of high quality. I've seen some go for as little as 100 and others exceed 1000. Are these jazz basses worth it? Maybe ****************ty electronics? Any 1st hand experience opinions welcome. Thanks.
    www.myspace.com/abrahamnoise
    Good dealings with: bedtime, infragreen, Norcal_GIT_r

The stuff from the 70's is usually pretty good. I've found that the pick ups usually suck though.

Ibanez and Hondo basses/guitars from the same era usually have the same kind of quality
    President of the HCBF "DEATH TO FALSE METAL!" ClubOriginally posted by Burdizzos- What's the difference between B-Bottom and a Dildo?A dildo was good enough to be in Phoenix Rizin'

Comment

Not J's as such, but a friend of mine has a very good Ric-copy.
      Greco build the Japanese Vintage Squiers for Fender. They build very good instruments at Greco.

Edit: The JV's are from '82 forward.
      "Too many basses is not enough." /ferm
      "I neither slap my women nor my basses." /Cpt. Spliff
      "What were once vices are now old habits." /Doobie Brothers

Comment

I've seen some Greco T-birds that were pretty nice.
        Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
        Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
        Attention Whore-T-broom
        I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
        Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
        grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
        Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

Would you guys pay $500 for a Greco?

Comment

Would you guys pay $500 for a Greco?

If it's an '80s Matsumoko T-bird, Ric clone, or Jazz copy, yes.
            Matt

Attention Whore-T-broom

Comment

How about this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230405299357&_trkparms =tab%3DWatching ?

Comment

That's a bit steep, especially with shipping. Nice bass, though.
                Matt

Attention Whore-T-broom

Comment

Another cheap knock off. They aren't worth more then you find yourself willing to pay

Comment

Another cheap knock off. They aren't worth more then you find yourself willing to pay

I've been doing some searching and the overwhelming majority of people who own Greco's say they have a great build.

Comment

Au contraire...

The '80s Grecos were produced in the famous Matsumoku factory as rebadged Ibanez instruments.

Matsumoku build quality, fit, finish and materials were first rate. The quality was at least as good as US Fenders of the same era.
                      Matt

Attention Whore-T-broom

Comment

I've been doing some searching and the overwhelming majority of people who own Greco's say they have a great build.

fwiw -
                        everything i've ever had that came out of the matsumoku factory in the 70's has been fantastic ( my main les paul is a matsu made electra that killed alot of gibsons to get where it's at ).
                        matsumoku made guitars for lots of different brands. if you can find one with one of the lesser know brands you'll get the same build quality for alot less money :
                        http://www.matsumoku.org/models/models.html
                        http://www.guttermouthelectronics.com/

Comment

fwiw -
                          everything i've ever had that came out of the matsumoku factory in the 70's has been fantastic ( my main les paul is a matsu made electra that killed alot of gibsons to get where it's at ).
                          matsumoku made guitars for lots of different brands. if you can find one with one of the lesser know brands you'll get the same build quality for alot less money :
                          http://www.matsumoku.org/models/models.html

Good to know.

So...replacing the electronics/pick ups would probably be best investment in owning a Greco or any Japanese model? Would anyone have any websites on where you would order fender japan?

Comment

So...replacing the electronics/pick ups would probably be best investment in owning a Greco or any Japanese model? Would anyone have any websites on where you would order fender japan?

yes.the pickups range from bland to great depending on model but the pots and wire are almost universally crap.for example,my electra still has the stock neck pickup but has a gibson 500t in the bridge and i've reworked the majority of the electronics (it's an mpc model and needs maintenance on the module plug connectors from time to time).
                            as far as ordering from japan the only place that comes to mind that i know is reputable is ishibashi:
                            http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/global/
                            http://www.guttermouthelectronics.com/

Comment

What's cool is, where a Fender would say JAZZ BASS, the Greco says SPACY SOUND. The Greco's of that era are regarded as high quality instruments by experienced collectors and players. If the neck is good and it works, the price seems about right.

Comment

Working...
                              X