Nevermore, nevermore

Renfield

• Members

Mystery birthday visitor to Poe grave is no-show, breaking tradition.

A mysterious visitor who left roses and cognac at the grave of Edgar Allan Poe each year on the writer's birthday failed to show early Tuesday, breaking with a ritual that began more than 60 years ago.

"I'm confused, befuddled," said Jeff Jerome, curator of the Poe House and Museum. "I don't know what's going on."

The tradition dates back to at least 1949, according to newspaper accounts from the era, Jerome said. Since then, an unidentified person has come every Jan. 19 to leave three roses and a half-bottle of cognac at Poe's grave in a church cemetery in downtown Baltimore.

• Members

Think it was the same guy all along and he died or something?

I read a little more on it since. One guy claims to have stepped up in 07 or so as the dude that started doing it way back when, but it's unconfirmed if he really did originate it or not.

Also, a few years back apparently one year nothing was left, save for a note that said "The torch is being passed." So maybe that guy got old and handed the job to his kids. The dude that claimed he was the original person said exactly this much. But with all the media attention it now gets, it's likely very difficult to remain a mystery, something that he said he always wanted to do.

I think he either passed away without a successor lined up, couldn't make it (likely moved) or all the attention simply kept him at bay. Who knows, we may never.

Archived