No announcement yet.

Nevermore, nevermore

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevermore, nevermore

Mystery birthday visitor to Poe grave is no-show, breaking tradition.

A mysterious visitor who left roses and cognac at the grave of Edgar Allan Poe each year on the writer's birthday failed to show early Tuesday, breaking with a ritual that began more than 60 years ago.

"I'm confused, befuddled," said Jeff Jerome, curator of the Poe House and Museum. "I don't know what's going on."

The tradition dates back to at least 1949, according to newspaper accounts from the era, Jerome said. Since then, an unidentified person has come every Jan. 19 to leave three roses and a half-bottle of cognac at Poe's grave in a church cemetery in downtown Baltimore.

Think it was the same guy all along and he died or something?
    I don't really consider myself a musician; more like an adequate mimic.

Originally Posted by mrs. bleepo
    good luck with this. girls are insane and i can't figure them out...

Comment

Probably got a life. Or lack of.
      Clever/dumb balance restored!
      My band - Contact Lost - Take a listen, our entire album can be heard on our myspace
      I also play backing for Iona Bain
      House of Rock Promotions

Trusty Budget Gear:
      Stagg BM350: Humbuckers powerful enough to pick up a heartbeat!
      Squier VM Fretless: Mwah!
      BC Rich Warlock: For when the funk calls!
      Ashdown EB 180-15

Originally Posted by Jugghaid

There's a big difference between a revolutionary and a reckless, self-absorbed dumbass.

Comment

That was my thought
        Hi, I'm from the Internet

Crush your audience, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women. - Lug

Comment

He joined HCBF...
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          HC Geezer Brigade #150

Comment

He joined HCBF...

Hi, I'm from the Internet

Crush your audience, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women. - Lug

Comment

My thoughts exactly.
              "Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life's cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous, half possession." - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

Proud Member -- HCBF Musicman Owners Club (Bongo 4HH and 20th SR5 HS Maple)

Check out my Mac OS X music software here!

Comment

That guy must have been waiting his whole life to use the word "befuddled".....I know I am.

Comment

I'm befuddled, bewildered and bewitched.

Comment

I read a little more on it since. One guy claims to have stepped up in 07 or so as the dude that started doing it way back when, but it's unconfirmed if he really did originate it or not.

Also, a few years back apparently one year nothing was left, save for a note that said "The torch is being passed." So maybe that guy got old and handed the job to his kids. The dude that claimed he was the original person said exactly this much. But with all the media attention it now gets, it's likely very difficult to remain a mystery, something that he said he always wanted to do.

I think he either passed away without a successor lined up, couldn't make it (likely moved) or all the attention simply kept him at bay. Who knows, we may never.

Comment

It was Thrustin. They banned him from doing that, too.
                      HCBF Mesa Brigade Member #2

Comment

Sounds to me like he realized what a waste of 1/2 a bottle of cognac it was
                        Play every gig like it's your last.
                        If you're not gonna kick as much ass as you're capable of, stay the **************** home. -bnyswonger

if marcus mille came here and say ''suck my dick hardly and ill give you one of my basses'' what would you do?- Trauma_Luna

That's like having sex with small animals. You don't do it. If you do, you don't let others know about it...-Thumper

Comment

It was Thrustin. They banned him from doing that, too.

Might have been because he kept reciting his own insipid poetry to Poe's corpse whilst making the drop.

Personally I think that either the guy ran out of money (the economy's tough, you know) or is stuck in Haiti.

http://www.blackwatchmi.com - Black Watch Musical Instrument Repair, Plano, TX
                          www.myspace.com/thegobos
                          www.myspace.com/southboundlane

Comment

I used to play pipes down at the Poe house on his birthday. No cognac, though.
                            ~Sean

listen?

be our friend?

Code:
                            My rig:
                            Rickenbacker 4003 >> Sunn 200s >> Custom Schroeder 4x12 (and ocassionally another Sunn 2x15)
                            /
                            Morley Bad Horsie II Wah
                            /
                            Sunn Sceptre >> Sunn 2x15 (Loaded with Weber Ceramic Thames & Chicago 15s)

Originally Posted by bassesofalessergod

one thing that can be said about the Ox.

He is the keeper of the flame of rock and roll for sure!

Originally Posted by Kindness

I the Ox.

Comment

I used to play pipes down at the Poe house on his birthday. No cognac, though.

Good enough reason for the man to be scared away, maybe ?
                              "Too many basses is not enough." /ferm
                              "I neither slap my women nor my basses." /Cpt. Spliff
                              "What were once vices are now old habits." /Doobie Brothers

Comment

Working...
                              X