SCOTUS Decision strikes down portion of McCain-Feingold

ThudMaker

• Moderators

They sided with the makers of "Hillary: The Movie."

In a stunning reversal of the nation's federal campaign finance laws, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday that as an exercise of free speech, corporations, labor unions and other groups can directly spend on political campaigns.

This is just in time for the elections in the fall. What ramifications do you think this will have?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's troubling to me that the Court feels that corporations and similar entities should enjoy the same status as individuals when it comes to political spending. This has the potential (IMO) to turn political races into contests of who can get the most corporate support, completely shutting out the voices of the electorate.

In short, he with the most money wins, and corporations can now be legally regarded as "he."

• Members

I think it means politicians will care even less for the average person and even more for the folks that line their pockets.

Also heard today on NPR that China is about to surpass Japan as the world's second largest economy. How much of our debt does China own, anyway?

I think we may witness the fall of the western democracy sometime in the not so distant future.

• Moderators
It's troubling to me that the Court feels that corporations and similar entities should enjoy the same status as individuals when it comes to political spending. This has the potential (IMO) to turn political races into contests of who can get the most corporate support, completely shutting out the voices of the electorate.

In short, he with the most money wins, and corporations can now be legally regarded as "he."

Corporations have always been a legal "person." Why would they not be regarded in that way?

• Members

Corporations have always been a legal "person." Why would they not be regarded in that way?

Not true.

Yes its been that way for a long time but it was not always so.

The Supremes granted corporations the legal status of "individual", among other rights, in the early 1800s (1819 I think).

• Members

I agree with this decision. I was in favor of McCain Feingold at first, but after doing some research and reading more educated opinions I changed my mind. The SCOTUS made the right call.

Now Chuck Schumer is calling for a hearing on this "Un-American" SCOTUS decision.

• Members

I think it means politicians will care even less for the average person and even more for the folks that line their pockets.

I'm not sure about this.

Do you think that if Exxon, for example, gives a candidate $1 billion for his/her campaign, and everybody knows about it, that will help or hurt them?

• Moderators
I agree with this decision. I was in favor of McCain Feingold at first, but after doing some research and reading more educated opinions I changed my mind. The SCOTUS made the right call.

Now Chuck Schumer is calling for a
hearing
on this "Un-American" SCOTUS decision.

He must think this is a decision that will favor the Republicans? I'm not sure why else he would say something so stupid. Also, the posts underneath the article you linked are very funny.

• Members

I'm not sure about this.

Do you think that if Exxon, for example, gives a candidate $1 billion for his/her campaign, and everybody knows about it, that will help or hurt them?

People are so locked into party lines these days that I don't even think it would matter how much a candidate got and from where. We'll also be hard-pressed to find a candidate that takes the "high road" and won't take this money. In the end we'll be stuck with the same two options... A Republican and a Democrat both of whom took of money from various lobbying companies from their respective side of the fence.

Yes, I am politically jaded.

• Moderators

What part of
when it comes to political spending
was unclear?

But that's the part that drove the SCOTUS decision.:lol:

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the main opinion, which reads in part that there is "no basis for allowing the government to limit corporate independent expenditures." "
There is no basis for the proposition that, in the political speech context, the government may impose restrictions on certain disfavored speakers," he wrote.
"The government may regulate corporate speech through disclaimer and disclosure requirements, but it may not suppress that speech altogether."

Dissenters included Justices John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

"The notion that the First Amendment dictated [today's ruling] is, in my judgment, profoundly misguided," Stevens wrote for the others.

"In the context of election to public office, the distinction between corporate and human speakers is significant.
Although they make enormous contributions to our society, corporations are not actually members of it," he added.

This is laughable. If they aren't members of our society, why do they get taxed? In a simplistic sense taxation without representation started a revolution.;)