X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Viola Bass -- what strings?

Hello everybody,
    I am new to this forum. I am not a bass player (I play guitar), I'm just helping my wife, who learns to play bass. We just got her Epiphone Viola Bass -- seems like it suits her size/weight-wise and also the stile of music we try to play. Also it looks great.
    My questions:
    Does anybody have any experience with this particular bass? I've been reading through reviews and forums, and many suggest to change the stock string to flat wound ones. We got a set of D'Addario ECB81 XL Chromes Flatwound - .045, .065, .080, .100 - at the time of purchase, I just wanted to be sure if those would be the right strings before messing them up. I've read about some incompatibilities with some strings on this bass. Also -- how important is it to have medium or short scale strings as oppose to full scale?
    If anybody has an experience with this -- any suggestions would be appreciated.

Even though it's a short scale bass they usually need medium scale strings because of the trapeze tailpiece. I have a similar violin bass and use medium-scale Rotosound RS-77 Jazz flats.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    HC Geezer Brigade #150

Comment

you might want to try LaBella nylon tape wound
      Something very witty t/b/d.

Sukop single cutaway 5-string - semi-hollow - active Bart soapbars
      Sukop "J" shape 5-string - passive Bart P/J's
      Sukop double cutaway 5-string - active Bart soapbars
      Mesa M-9
      Mesa Powerhouse 2X12, 4X10
      Mesa Walkabout Scout 1X12
      MXR M-80 Direct+
      Korg DTR 2000 Tuner
      Epicenter Audio Valveboy

Comment

You use flatwounds on a viola to get the retro (Beatles) sound.
        If that suites the music, your d'Addarios are perfectly all right.

For a beginner, they will also help to eliminate the noise, when you move your fretting fingers.

Welcome to the low end, wifey.
        "Too many basses is not enough." /ferm
        "I neither slap my women nor my basses." /Cpt. Spliff
        "What were once vices are now old habits." /Doobie Brothers

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies!
          It's hard to describe what kind of music we play - I guess it would be more towards retro. So we will stick with d'Addarios for now and see how it works all together.
          Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Even though it's a short scale bass they usually need medium scale strings because of the trapeze tailpiece. I have a similar violin bass and use medium-scale Rotosound RS-77 Jazz flats.

Use the same on my Epi EA-260's. Same reason, it needs the medium-scale in spite of the short 30.5" scale, due to the bridge and tail piece set-up.
            YUM!!!
            Tastes just like
            Genuine Grade "A" Dark Amber
            Pure Pennsylvania Maple Syrup

Comment

Personally, I'd go with the nylon-wrapped strings, to maximize the woody, acoustic character of the bass.
              "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
              -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
              -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
              -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
              -- Theodore White

Comment

Personally, I'd go with the nylon-wrapped strings, to maximize the woody, acoustic character of the bass.

I'd like that -- "woody, acoustic character"... Do they ware out faster?

Such a bummer -- I was ready and excited to install the D'Addario Flatwounds. But turned out it's a full scale set (actually recommended for this particular bass by a GC sales person ).

Comment

I'd like that -- "woody, acoustic character"... Do they ware out faster?

Such a bummer -- I was ready and excited to install the D'Addario Flatwounds. But turned out it's a full scale set (actually recommended for this particular bass by a GC sales person ).

I'd recommend once a year, depending on how often you play & how clean you keep your instrument, but they can last much longer.
                  Something very witty t/b/d.

Sukop single cutaway 5-string - semi-hollow - active Bart soapbars
                  Sukop "J" shape 5-string - passive Bart P/J's
                  Sukop double cutaway 5-string - active Bart soapbars
                  Mesa M-9
                  Mesa Powerhouse 2X12, 4X10
                  Mesa Walkabout Scout 1X12
                  MXR M-80 Direct+
                  Korg DTR 2000 Tuner
                  Epicenter Audio Valveboy

Comment

Nylon tapewound strings last nearly forever in my experience.

You will need "medium scale strings. 32", even though it's a 30" scale bass.

La Bella makes a set of flats just for that bass-- 760FHBB

I suggest those, or the medium scale Rotosound tapewounds--RS88M

Comment

Thank you for your help everyone!
                      I would like to try those Nylon tapewound strings in the future.
                      Too bad they didn't have those at our GC, so I just ordered from them (in exchange) a set of D'Addarios -- just to get feeling of flatwounds, and will go from there.
                      This Epi Viola sounds great even with the stock strings. Our Fender BXR100 suddenly became "alive" and musical, well..., within its abilities.
                      Somebody is selling early 1960's VOX ESSEX on Craig's. That would be a good compliment to this bass, I think. But $600 is too steep for us now.

Comment

Welcome To The Forum and I agree with the above
                        "Many (bands)have retooled with that marketing concept in mind without understanding that the party experience is supposed to be for the audience and NOT themselves" - wheresgrant3

Still HCBF's reigning "Sexiest Forumite"....Dont hate me because Im beautiful

DRF On MySpace

Comment

Welcome To The Forum and I agree with the above

Thank you, glad to be here, I agree too.

Comment

I would recommend Pyramid Gold Short Scale Flatwounds, The same strings that H
                            Gibson, Tobias & MusicMan tools
                            My homepage: Click

Comment

I would recommend Pyramid Gold Short Scale Flatwounds, The same strings that H

Comment

Working...
                                X