Indie/gospel fingerstyle?

Bassinflux

• Members

Hey,

I used to post here infrequently, then I went to grad school, now I just stalk the for sale threads. I am hoping to start posting more, as I've found time again to play. I am also a builder:

BASS.png

And I am possibly building a Bass VI next (spec wise... similar to the above in terms of design).

I play through a Genz Benz combo (GBE250c), but I am thinking about grabbing a Shuttle or one of their NEOs since my back is a huge piece of crap and the 115t combo is awkward without casters.

I've always listened to indie rock (Pinback, Cougar, Discover America, Cursive, EITS/GYBE), but I am starting to get into fingerstyle more, and I've been checking out some new techniques on youtube. Maybe I'll upload a video so you guys can hear my bass (I'll have to DI it though).

Anyway I posted here to get some recommendations for indie rock with really groovy fingerstyle bass lines. Sorta like Owen Biddle (roots) or the maybe the guys from tortoise. I guess some people might call it gospel style, but I am looking for something a little more on this side of indie.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hey,

Anyway I posted here to get some recommendations for indie rock with really groovy fingerstyle bass lines. Sorta like
Owen Biddle
(roots) or the maybe the guys from tortoise. I guess some people might call it gospel style, but I am looking for something a little more on this side of indie.

He's a friend of mine. :)

• Members

I don't listen to much rock but am very familiar with Gospel. As a matter of fact, my absolute favorite bassists come from Gospel. If you haven't already, check Youtube for:

Sharay Reed

Justin Raines

James Ross

Andrew Gouche

On the Rockier side, but still funky, check out Damian Erskine and... of course... Otiel Burbridge (Otiel and the Peacemakers, Aquarium Rescue Unit, etc).

Probably not what you're looking for but may find it interesting.

Peace.

• Members

For "groovy" finger-style bass lines I'd check out George Porter from the Meters, Anything James Jamerson, David Hoods work with Muscle Shoals, and anything Chuck Rainey. In the Jazz rock vein, Lee Sklars work with Spectrum (Billy Cobham), Max Middletons work with Joni Mitchell (Jaco's too), and Alphonzo Johnsons playing with George Duke.

Archived