GK MB115---are these for real?

Meatball Fulton

• Members

Looking around the webz I see exactly two types of comments on the GK MB115:

1. It's fantastic!!!

2. I took mine out of the box and it rattled itself to death within a few minutes :mad:

OK, I've been around the block for 30 years with serious amps...Ampeg, Sunn, SWR, Walter Woods, Epifani, Bergantino, Acoustic Image...and I haven't seen this much bipolar opinion on an amp in a long time. I've used GK rigs in the past and been satisfied but this is Chinese made, not US and uses radically different tech than the old 400/800RB road warriors.

I also read that the MB115 can't put out gig volumes. I can't imagine a 200w combo that's usable only as a "practice amp".

I don't need to replace a bulletproof (but heavy) rig with one that's in the shop every other week after dying on the gig.

• Members

I'm a believer. Picked up a new MB212 about 4 months ago. A/B'd it numerous times with my 800RB and Pro 2200 2x12 rig I've used for the last 5 years and it blew it away as far as tone and volume and especially weight. I sold the 800RB for the $300 I paid for it 2 weeks later. The combo has more then held it's own in the 4 piece cover band and 10 piece original outfit without ever coming close to having to push it past noon and I've honestly gotten more kudos on my tone these last 4 months of gigs from bandmates then in the last 5 years playing the 800RB.

• Members

Thx for the replies, but I'm not shopping amps in general and don't need suggestions for other brands.

The GK would be used for one specific gig...a weekly jam session...where idiot proof reliability is a high priority.

My current rig is fine (and paid for many times over) except I'd like to reduce the weight.

• Members

You didn't ask a specific question. You just made statements. So don't get upset that you are not getting the answers you want. :confused: It's an internet forum. What did you expect? :facepalm:

Thx for the replies, but I'm
not
shopping amps in general and don't need suggestions for other brands.

The GK would be used for one specific gig...a weekly jam session...where idiot proof reliability is a high priority.

My current rig is fine (and paid for many times over) except I'd like to reduce the weight.

• Members

I have 2 MB210's. One is for home and the other for gigs (smaller places) and rehearsal. I've had them for around 4 months. I can't speak for the 15 cabinet but no issues with the amp reliability. It's pretty cool to get so much low end out of such a small and light package. Reminds me of when the Bose Wave Radios first came out. In the olden days.

My only complaints would be the control section knobs and print are on the small side and the stacking system isn't as secure as it could be.

I recently got the MBE210 ext. cabinet but haven't been able to try it out. The little stack sure looks cool though.

Tim

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I've owned and used just about every MB configuration: the 115, 210 and 212 combo amps, at one point or another in my recent career as a classic rocker. I've actually had TWO 212's and TWO 210's (one of each were used, the others were new out of box). I have some comments as to GK's products--at least to the extent of these models:

MB115 - Great thick sound for a 33lb cab. Unfortunately the weight advantage is probably compromising some the quality aspects that are integrated into "heavier" amps like Peavey, Ashdown, Warwick, Carvin and others in this price point. Invariably the cheap tweeter goes quickly and on mine the 15" driver blew about 8 months after the warranty expired. Fortunately GK's one of the best customer service entities in all of American music equipment companies and they sent me a replacement post-warranty. If weight is not your primary concern I'd pick up an old Yorkville Bassmaster XM200 with two 10s or the single 15" instead--and save around $200.

MB210 - I found the sound to be thinner and not as "thumpy" as the 115 or 212 configuration. The big advantage with this model is the ability to run an extension cabinet out of the ext. speaker jack in the back (the only model to have this). Overall a pretty good MB model, but the tweeters both blew on mine without much effort.

MB212 - Both tweeters blew and one of the drivers on one of the (used) ones I bought. Again, if weight is primary then you probably can't do much better than these amps.

If I had to do it all again and I was 20 years younger, I'd pick up a Peavey BAM combo amp or consider one of the Traynor DynaBass or Hartke Hydrives.

• Members

I ran my MB 210 into the 210 ext. cabinet and got a great sound (considering the weight and small footprint) for a short time until the extension cabinet tweeters blew out. I was not pushing it hard at all. I chose not to bother fixing as I still had all my old stuff which was fine, albeit bulky.

Archived