Markbass Amps

mineame

• Members

I am about to buy my first Bass and amp. (Coming from a drummer/ Rhythm guitarist background)

So I am looking around and I am pretty positive I am going to buy a Sterling Music Man 5 string bass. I have played an OLP 5 string bass so I am not concerned about the extra string and issues around the neck size.

But my biggest concern is the amp. I am looking for a killer amp ... I found this Markbass amp @ GC.com ...

So now I defer to you experts for opinions on this amp, or something better in the 900 to 1.1k price range.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Markbass-Mini-CMD-151P-300-500W-1x15-Bass-Combo-Amp-481759-i1395926.gc

• Members

A Markbass as a first amp... nice. :thu:

I'd personally be wary of a 1x15 combo. I think for about the same money, you could probably get the 1x12 combo from the same series and add on another 1x12... maybe an Avatar with a Delta Pro speaker. I think that would be a bit louder and more versatile. Just my opinion.

Have a guy in the family that used to play the SVT and the 8x10. He now runs that 500 watt head and two separate 1x12s, taking either one or 2, depending on what is needed. Sounds killer.

You could also go that route.... get the head version which usually sells for $350 or $400 and get either a couple 1x12s or one 1x15 and one 2x10. I just think that would be a lot more versatile than the 1x15 combo.

Markbass has it's share of haters, but I think they are pretty amazing and the 500 watt head and a DIY 1x12 will be my next bass amp.

• Members

A Markbass as a first amp... nice.
:thu:

I'd personally be wary of a 1x15 combo. I think for about the same money, you could probably get the 1x12 combo from the same series and add on another 1x12... maybe an Avatar with a Delta Pro speaker. I think that would be a bit louder and more versatile. Just my opinion.

Have a guy in the family that used to play the SVT and the 8x10. He now runs that 500 watt head and two separate 1x12s, taking either one or 2, depending on what is needed. Sounds killer.

You could also go that route.... get the head version which usually sells for $350 or $400 and get either a couple 1x12s or one 1x15 and one 2x10. I just think that would be a lot more versatile than the 1x15 combo.

Markbass has it's share of haters, but I think they are pretty amazing and the 500 watt head and a DIY 1x12 will be my next bass amp.

+1

I used to use a Markbass Little Mark II - nice amp.

I now use Mesa (again).

Jim

• Members

I've had a MarkBass Little Mark II since they starting selling them a Guitar Center years ago.

It is a great little amp.

I just found something I like better for less than half the price (also had the power...).

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-EDEN-NEMESIS-ENX260-BASS-GUITAR-HEAD-AMP-/220748395975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3365a135c7

So far its plenty loud with a 4 ohm cab.

I'm rehearsing with it tonight. Should be interesting.

• Members

I've had a MarkBass Little Mark II since they starting selling them a Guitar Center years ago.

It is a great little amp.

I just found something I like better for less than half the price (also had the power...).

So far its plenty loud with a 4 ohm cab.

I'm rehearsing with it tonight. Should be interesting.

Definitely tell us what you think about that. There's one for sale on my local craigslist for $175. I can get the Markbass for $350, but the Eden is still half price which is pretty sweet.

• Members

My wife used a Little Mark II with a 1x15 MarkBass cab when she played. It was awesome as long as you wanted it to really clean. The amp itself didn't get dirty at all and it didn't take pedals that well either. As far as thundering cleans go, it was great.

• Members

I bought the MarkBass CMD102P 2x10 combo in December to replace my Ampeg BA210SP. I love the fact that it's got real kick and is super light. The tiltback cabinet is another positive. I highly recommend it.

• Members

I am about to buy my first Bass and amp. (Coming from a drummer/ Rhythm guitarist background)

So I am looking around and I am pretty positive I am going to buy a Sterling Music Man 5 string bass. I have played an OLP 5 string bass so I am not concerned about the extra string and issues around the neck size.

But my biggest concern is the amp. I am looking for a killer amp ... I found this Markbass amp @ GC.com ...

Nice amp man. You getting a musicman sterling or a Sterling BY musicman?

So now I defer to you experts for opinions on this amp, or something better in the 900 to 1.1k price range.

Nice amp man. I think you are on the right track there. Markbass stuff is awesome. The mids are very tight. You getting a musicman sterling or a Sterling BY musicman?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the Little Mark 3, I was in a live setting playing a slap bass riff and the amp shut off. The power on light was still lit and the fan was going but, no sound. I turned it off then back on and it worked again during slap bass playing it shut off again so I just finished with all finger style no slap, it worked fine? I think the precussive spike (overload at the input signal?) from the slap bass, is trigering a protection shut down circuit. I had the gain at 2:00, master at 10:00, eq was flat, VLE knob was at 9:00, VPF knob was at 12:00, I was using a musicman stingray 5, and 2, cabs 1x12 both 8 ohm. I have owned Ampeg, GK, Fender amps never had a problem like this.

• Members

I have the Little Mark 3, I was in a live setting playing a slap bass riff and the amp shut off. The power on light was still lit and the fan was going but, no sound. I turned it off then back on and it worked again during slap bass playing it shut off again so I just finished with all finger style no slap, it worked fine? I think the precussive spike (overload at the input signal?) from the slap bass, is trigering a protection shut down circuit. I had the gain at 2:00, master at 10:00, eq was flat, VLE knob was at 9:00, VPF knob was at 12:00, I was using a musicman stingray 5, and 2, cabs 1x12 both 8 ohm. I have owned Ampeg, GK, Fender amps never had a problem like this.

I've been running a MB LMII for more than a few years now and have never had a problem like this. I slap often enough as well. That said, I typically have my gain stages set up opposite of what you've shared. My input gain is at 10 o'clock & my master will be up to 2 o'clock. I agree that it sounds like you were hitting the input gain too hard. Why not try lowering it to where it won't clip and boosting the master? Regardless, you still may have a bum head. It happens often enough to 'Peg, GK & Fender as well as many others. It's just the nature of manufacturing volume product. The key is customer service. I'd contact MB CS and see what they have to say.

• Members
I've been running a MB LMII for more than a few years now and have never had a problem like this. I slap often enough as well. That said, I typically have my gain stages set up opposite of what you've shared. My input gain is at 10 o'clock & my master will be up to 2 o'clock. I agree that it sounds like you were hitting the input gain too hard. Why not try lowering it to where it won't clip and boosting the master? Regardless, you still may have a bum head. It happens often enough to 'Peg, GK & Fender as well as many others. It's just the nature of manufacturing volume product. The key is customer service. I'd contact MB CS and see what they have to say.

I agree. With your gain and master at zero, play your slap notes at the full normal power that you would play them, while bringing up the gain just to the point where the input clip light starts lighting up. Then back off your gain just a hair, set master volume to taste, bake for 20 minutes at 350 and you're done.

• Members

So far, I've rehearsed with EDEN NEMESIS ENX260 twice.

Once with an Avatar B210 Neo and once with a Peavey 215 BW with Eminence Deltalite II 2515 drivers.

The B210 was hard to hear over two loud guitars, vox, and drums.

The 215 was significantly louder but still not loud enough.

I had to really dig in to hear myself and I can't play that hard for more than maybe 2 sets.

I switched over to my Eden WT800B after a couple of songs, which is loud enough for anything that I will ever need.

I'll keep trying to bring down the stage volume, but it is a constant battle.

The sad thing is that I really love the tone and the amp would be perfect if the guitards turned it down a couple of notches.

• Members

I've liked the Markbass stuff I have had (LMII and Tube 800). They don't seem to take pedals particularly well though, and they stay really clean. My tastes have moved toward a dirtier sound now which is why I don't play them anymore. They are very reliable, and typically strong in a live mix

• Members

Last year, I took my bass to 4 different music stores looking for a new stack.

I played 11 or 12 rigs, stuff from Eden, Mesa, Ampeg, GK, GB, Markbass, etc. ... with a variety of different cabinet configurations. For me, the Ampeg SVT4Pro with a 410 Cab (HLF?, I forget) was the best sounding rig.

I didn't buy it. The "thinking" part of my brain told me that I wanted something Made In America with smaller cabinets (easier to move). I ended up buying a Mesa with a 2x10 and 1x15 cabinet.

I have never been completely satisfied with the tone. I play Jazz and Funk and take a lot of solos. The amp is just a little too "dirty" for my needs.

My advice: Take your bass out and play everything. Buy the one that sounds the Best to you. You'll be happier and end up saving money in the long run!

Archived