Bass mod project: MM pickup in a bronco/mustang bass?

mike.sartori

• Members

Ok, so I recently bought a squire bronco to mod, and I'm caught between to ideas. One is to upgrade to a fender mustang pickup (along with new tuners & bridge) OR possibly putting in a music man stringray pickup.

What would be the tonal differences, and the advantages and dissadvantages of these two pickups? Would the MM sound OK with the short scale? Lemme know what you think.

• Members

I can't speak to that specific bass, but I very nearly pulled the trigger on a bass that had been modded with an MM pickup.

It was a bone cheap plywood Austin brand Jazz bass copy. Somebody had (very messily) installed an MM pup in the middle and left the (I assume) stock J-pup at the bridge.

Man, it was thunderous! Very fat sound but not mudd. Nice clarity. Power where you need it.

• Members

Not a bad idea, may i suggest a 5 way rotary switch for that mod? I have 3 in 2 bass i like em that much.

A 5-way switch for only one pickup? Or is it two? I just got one of those mini-slider switches like on the mustangs and jaguars, it seemed to compliment the look.

Archived