Input on my bass?

Dominic2oh9

• Members

You'll find the input on the front, near the tone knob.

;)

A Fender Jazz is a very good instrument. Congrats on scoring your new bass!

EDIT: I still can't believe I wrote that about the input :facepalm:

• Members

I have some sort of problem with hammer-ons, and bass slides. Once I switch a note, the resonation completely dies. Someone told me it has something to do with the action of the bass. I honestly dont know what that means, any help? If it helps, the bass is really bright sounding andd when I strum a string (w/ a pick) its a bit poppy. Maybe the guy that owned it before me had it set for like jazz or something, but I play "Hardcore" which is sort of metal, so it doesnt help much. lol.

• Members

I have some sort of problem with hammer-ons, and bass slides. Once I switch a note, the resonation completely dies. Someone told me it has something to do with the action of the bass. I honestly dont know what that means, any help? If it helps, the bass is really bright sounding andd when I strum a string (w/ a pick) its a bit poppy. Maybe the guy that owned it before me had it set for like jazz or something, but I play "Hardcore" which is sort of metal, so it doesnt help much. lol.

The higher the action, the harder the hammer-ons. Maybe the action is fine and you just don't have proper finger strength yet. It's hard to say.

"Action" is basically a reference of string height. Low action = low string height, and vice versa. Generally people slapping like lower action, some people prefer higher for heavy handed playing, etc. It really depends on your specific style of playing. You can try lowering the action. Worst case scenario you don't like the height and raise it back up.

"Poppy"ness is the reason people play with pick. If you don't want a poppy, harsh attack, don't use pick. There isn't a "jazz" or "hardcore" setup. It depends how you play and how your technique adapts to the bass. Don't overthink this. There is no magic setup. Don't like the poppy attack? Use a softer pick or fingers. Don't like the action? Lower/raise it. Don't like the response of the strings? Change them. There's no formula, there's no definitive answer.

• Members

Also, would different strings give me different tone?

Yes, in combination with your amp, eq, cab, pick ups, the acoustics of the venue/room, and your fingers. Roundwound strings will give you a bright tone, while flatwounds will give you a tone not unlike a double bass.

• Members

From what I can tell by the fuzzy pic, it seems as though it could be a pretty decent instrument. As a Fender Jazz, it's a standard bass guitar. If I got a chance to get my hands on it, I could tell you if I actually liked it. I'm rather picky about my action tho, and tend to prefer my own instruments.

• Members

When guitarists and bass players talk about "action" in relation to an instrument, what they are referring to is the height of the strings off the fretboard. If the strings are close to the fretboard, the guitar or bass is said to have "low action", if they are high off the fingerboard, it's said to have "high action." Simple as that. If the action is too low, you'll get rattles and dead notes; if the action is too high, the bass can be hard to play and it can mess with the intonation (notes fretting in tune).

Yes, different strings will give a different tone. Roundwound type strings are most common and are probably what's on the bass now. They are similar to guitar strings, except heavier gauge of course. They also make flatwound and "ground round" strings...flatwounds are almost like the strings they put on upright (acoustic) basses...smooth to the touch, but very "thuddy" sounding and with very little sustain. Ground wounds are in-between roundwounds and flatwounds in tone.

For almost all styles of music, you want a bassy tone, and to get that: 1) use the neck pickup only, turn the bridge pickup off. 2) Pick closer to the neck, and away from the bridge. 3) Tone controls - use them! The tone knob on your bass is basically a treble control, turn it down to reduce treble. Don't be afraid to turn down the treble on your amp and/or turn up the bass too.

Using a pick is fine for hardcore and heavy metal bass styles, but I'd encourage you to also learn to play with just fingers on your right hand. You'll get a deeper, bassier tone without the "pops."

• Members

When guitarists and bass players talk about "action" in relation to an instrument, what they are referring to is
the height of the strings off the fretboard.
If the strings are close to the fretboard, the guitar or bass is said to have "low action", if they are high off the fingerboard, it's said to have "high action." Simple as that. If the action is too low, you'll get rattles and dead notes; if the action is too high, the bass can be hard to play and it can mess with the intonation (notes fretting in tune).

Yes, different strings will give a different tone. Roundwound type strings are most common and are probably what's on the bass now. They are similar to guitar strings, except heavier gauge of course. They also make flatwound and "ground round" strings...flatwounds are almost like the strings they put on upright (acoustic) basses...smooth to the touch, but very "thuddy" sounding and with very little sustain. Ground wounds are in-between roundwounds and flatwounds in tone.

For almost all styles of music, you want a bassy tone, and to get that: 1) use the neck pickup only, turn the bridge pickup off. 2) Pick closer to the neck, and away from the bridge. 3) Tone controls - use them! The tone knob on your bass is basically a treble control, turn it down to reduce treble. Don't be afraid to turn down the treble on your amp and/or turn up the bass too.

Using a pick is fine for hardcore and heavy metal bass styles, but I'd encourage you to also learn to play with just fingers on your right hand. You'll get a deeper, bassier tone without the "pops."

Wow thank you man! thats about everything i needed. there is a lot of duds on this forum that dont help too much. but thanks so much! :)

• Members

looks at post #5, weeps single tear...

Oh, sure, but your post immediately before that was your typical n00b pWnage type post that are soooo popular around here. :rolleyes: Because most people love to take advice from people that just insulted them or had a laugh at their expense.

:wave:

• Members

Oh, sure, but your post immediately before that was your typical
n00b pWnage
type post that are soooo popular around here.
:rolleyes:
Because most people love to take advice from people that just insulted them or had a laugh at their expense.

:wave:

I give everyone {censored}, it's all in good fun. I thought it was amusing and would've done it to a regular just as soon as you (a "n00b" who needs "pWnage"). Either way, I assure you I am the last person you should feel insulted or offended by. My relevant and, what I'd hoped to be, helpful post afterward should have been indication of that.

No need to get all sensitive on a bass forum. ;)

• Members

Yes, ______ affects your tone. Fill in the blank with anything you use in the entire setup between the wall and your fingers.

I even read somewhere that a big time sound man ( I forget for who or his name now) considers the whole room to be a sound cabinet and an integral part of the bass "chain".

Archived