Tube amp repair book?

Bernie P.

• Members

If you are serious about doing this, be sure and get a digital multi-meter and learn how to use it, it's essential for protecting yourself from electric shock and for troubleshooting problems. Another tip - take a close, clear picture of your circuit board/tag board BEFORE beginning work! Electrolytic caps have polarity ("+" and "-" terminals) and if they are connected backwards it will ruin the caps instantly once the amp is powered on. You don't need to replace all the caps, just the electrolytic filter caps. Do you have a schematic for this amp? I understand the Earth amps were pretty much cheap knockoffs of Fenders.

• Members

A schematic isn't needed if you're just replacing the filter caps, but you need to be able to read the values off the cap(s) to buy an appropriate replacement. Oh, one more thing, amp techs will insist you need a variac to "form" the new caps, but there's some disagreement about this. In any case, I bought a variac for $70.

• Members

I've got an old green-cover tube repair book at home with Fender, Ampeg, etc. amp schematics from the early 70's IIRC. Used it to keep my 70's SVT and Bassman running and modify Fenders and Marshalls with master volumes before they had them. I'll try to dig it up and post the Title, Author, and ISBN number when I get home.....running on 4 hours of sleep(gig last night) so no promises that will happen tonight.

Archived