ampeg ba115, changing voltage + other Q's

guitarist_with_

• Members

Evening, so I'm buying a cheapish bass combo for standard bar gigs I've been asked to do. A BA115 looks like the best bet, however I can't find any used ones in Australia and they sell for over $800 new here. If I get one from the US ($500 max inc. freight) can it be easily modified to suit 240v? I've never had to do anything like this before, so where would I get such a task done? Is a transformer (or whatever) expensive?

I've also got an eye on an Ashdown five fifteen ($400 locally). How does it compare? Bass isn't my primary instrument and I only know of ampeg and eden's quality. Would it be a good option if I wanted to dodge the BA115 hassle? It doesn't have a line out but I highly doubt I'd need one.

Thanks

• Members

Evening, so I'm buying a cheapish bass combo for standard bar gigs I've been asked to do. A BA115 looks like the best bet, however I can't find any used ones in Australia and they sell for over $800 new here. If I get one from the US ($500 max inc. freight) can it be easily modified to suit 240v? I've never had to do anything like this before, so where would I get such a task done? Is a transformer (or whatever) expensive?

I've also got an eye on an Ashdown five fifteen ($400 locally). How does it compare? Bass isn't my primary instrument and I only know of ampeg and eden's quality. Would it be a good option if I wanted to dodge the BA115 hassle? It doesn't have a line out but I highly doubt I'd need one.

Thanks

Hey man, I have a BA-115, and I dont think I would gig with it. It is definitely not loud enough to compete with a drummer. The Ashdown, though heavier would much more suit your needs.

• Members

Thanks mate, seems like a much more convenient option for less cash. Any other suggestions for something around the same price range?

On your side of the pond, Ashdown has another combo, that puts out 400watts and has 4 10's underneath it. I played with one as a backline once. Heavy but it THUMPED!

• Members

Those do look good but a little out of my price range. at least here. There's always a ridiculous markup.

Is there a big difference in volume between 60 and 100w for bass amps? I'm just wondering about a Warwick blue cab 60. If it's considerably quieter I think I'll stick with the Five Fifteen.

• Members

Those do look good but a little out of my price range. at least here. There's always a ridiculous markup.

Is there a big difference in volume between 60 and 100w for bass amps? I'm just wondering about a Warwick blue cab 60. If it's considerably quieter I think I'll stick with the Five Fifteen.

Wheres Mr Mow, or Jon Jon when ya need them?

Archived