Acoustic 4x10 + Ampeg 2x10

Mikoo69

• Members

Problem with my band's bass rig, maybe you guys here can help?

We are trying to run an SVT Classic Head into 2 cabinets, one a new 'Acoustic' 4x10 and one 'Ampeg' 2x10. However, when we do it, we notice a few problems:

1) the acoustic cabinet is louder, drowning out the ampeg's speakers.

2) certain notes are sustaining in very different ways than when we just run one cabinet. I am wondering if one of the cabinets could be out of phase? The tone is not as even when we run both cabinets vs. just one of the cabinets. They both sound great individually.

Here are some specs I found on the cabinets. We are running the amp at 4ohms. Thoughts? Suggestions?

ACOUSTIC 4x10

Power: 400 watts power handling

Speaker: 4 x 10" heavy-duty speakers, high-frequency with on/off switch

Impedance: 8 ohms

AMPEG 2x10

2 x 10" Drivers

Horn

Variable High Frequency Level

High Frequency Protection

Bass Reflex Cabinet Design

8 Ohms

400 Watts Program

200 Watts RMS

42 Hz - 18K Hz dynamic range

• Members

agreed with Funkee.

but as for running the cabs that are at 4 ohms. I have done it, but you are going to lose some power. The amp has an output transformer which is unique to tube amps that consists of a tap for 4 ohms and one for 2 ohms. You shouldn't (Theoretically) run anything but 2/4 ohm loads to it. IN a lower volume environment you can probably run the 8 ohm box without worrying too much about damaging the amp. The difference between the transformer impedence and the cab isn't enough to be really concerned about. You really should stick with recommended impedances, you COULD damage something.

Archived