Rhythm Guitar Player Learning Bass... Am I Starting Out Right?

mineame

• Members

So I have really taken a strong look at how I am going to approach learning to play bass...

When I first picked up a guitar @ 16, about 27 years ago... I just went at it, no real training, no lessons (Aside from a friend giving me chord progressions to songs his band played). Needless to say, my playing really suffered because of that.

Now, I am not a believer in *practice makes perfect* but I do believe that *perfect practice makes perfect* .... So here is how I am approaching this.

Back to the metronome! 80bpm incrementing up to 160bpm, 8bpm each time. Playing quarter notes for now, switching to the next string every 2 measures. One finger plucking (w/o changing) at a time, for a minute.

Next step will be just about the same exercise, quarter notes but w/ two fingers plucking. Then onto 3 fingers.

Then onto 8th notes, triplets, 16ths.

Time is not a major factor at the moment. I play rhythm in a classic rock cover band and there currently are no plans to change that.

Any suggestions? Is aiming for 3 fingers enough, to much? Or should I look to Myung and shoot for the stars and incorporate my pinky for plucking?

• Members

Practice to be as good as you want, or need, to be. No one on here is going to chide you for not learning a 3 or 4 finger approach, and if they do I'll call them a {censored}face.

I don't have any suggestions on what to change, but I've had a lot of luck with the book "Bass Fitness" with the bass-squeezing-strong-guy on the cover. That is, if you're looking for more/different ways to improve your skill. Doing the same thing all the time limits how much you improve.

Aside from that, partyin partyin, YEAH, partyin partyin, YEAH, fun fun fun, looking forward to the weekend, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, GOTTA GET DOWN ON FRIDAY

• Members

I dont see a need for metronome unless you are first learning music or are learning original techniques for writing originals etc.

For learning cover songs I usually play with the mp3 plugged in for background on my bass floorpod, and do it all with headphones on. Been doing it that way since I switched from guitar myself about 2 years ago. Mind you I'm not awesome but people always comment we're a very tight band, which is good to hear as a bass player.

2 fingers is all Ive needed so far, I'm not trying to be the next virtuoso.

• Members

I agree with all the advice so far. I would however, like to bring your attention to technique. The bass is a different animal to the guitar, ( more physical) and thus requires a different technique. If you get good (note I did not say "correct" ;) ) technique, not only will you get the best from your playing, but you will avoid possible physical problems like CTS at a later time. Now is the time to learn it, before bad habits develop. Check You Tube for right and left hand technique.

• Members

Lots of famous bass players use pick to play. As a guitar player you should allready be good with one. Incorportate that into your playing. Metronome is good, Drum machine is bit better but metronome is still good choice. As far as your bass tone, is same as guitar, shape it in the mix. What sounds good solo may not work so well in the mix and what sounds great in the mix may not sound so wonderful solo. If nothing else use drum machine to play along with for some in the mix sense, also playing along with a cd or radio station is great for helping to shape in the mix sound. Have fun, goof off some to. Helps playing in many ways.

Archived