Direct Out question

Jersey Jack

• Members

I just picked up a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 combo (with two 2 10" speakers), and I have a question about using the direct out. Since the head can be removed from the cab, I can easily take it with me, and since I would like to try running it through the PA, this would be a very lightweight way to gig. :idea:

But, not knowing much about amps, I'm not sure that removing the speaker output from the head would be safe. Can I use the head using ONLY the DI as an output?

If this is a stupid question and if I'd be in danger of damaging the head, bear in mind that i DID ask first. ;)

• Moderators

It's solid state. You will have no problems using it that way. Now, just as an FYI, look up either agedhorse (I believe he designed that actual amp for GB, but I could be wrong) or hasbeen (he works directly for GB as a manager, IINM). Both these guys are top notch and will respond pretty quickly.

• Members

It's solid state. You will have no problems using it that way. Now, just as an FYI, look up either agedhorse (I believe he designed that actual amp for GB, but I could be wrong) or hasbeen (he works directly for GB as a manager, IINM). Both these guys are top notch and will respond pretty quickly.

Thanks, but it does have a tube preamp--or so it says on the front! Does that not count for this sort of thing?

• Members

Yeah, there wouldn't be any problems using that amp that way - I'd run it post-EQ DI send, so that you could have atleast a little control over the sound you send to the board...

- georgestrings

• Members

It'll work, but if going light is what you want, just get a Peterson Strobostomp and use its DI. Even lighter than the G-B, and you get the tuner function as well.

--

I wouldn't recommend that approach, and here's why: I have a Strobostomp, and although it's a great tuner, it's DI isn't all that great... IME, G-B DI's are all very good quality, and what he's proposing will work just fine... The Peterson's DI really surprised me - I though it would be pretty good, but it wasn't up to par with any of my amp's on-board DIs, let alone the Countryman that I carry around as my "backup amp"...

- georgestrings

• Members
Yeah, there wouldn't be any problems using that amp that way - I'd run it post-EQ DI send, so that you could have atleast a little control over the sound you send to the board...

+10000

You shouldn't have any issues man. I wouldn't sweat it in the slightest.

- georgestrings

• Members

If he was gonna run the simple, I would tell him to just run a Sansamp Bass Driver and get it over with personally

I wouldn't, because I'm not a big fan of them - I'd much rather run a high quality DI than a Sansamp, but to each their own...

- georgestrings

• Moderators
I wouldn't, because I'm not a big fan of them - I'd much rather run a high quality DI than a Sansamp, but to each their own...

- georgestrings

+1. We've had this sansamp conversation regularly. It's deja vu all over again.

• Members

- georgestrings

This, plus the fact he already has the Shuttle. Why buy more gear when you don't have to? (did I actually just type that?)

• Members

This, plus the fact he already has the Shuttle. Why buy more gear when you don't have to? (did I actually just type that?)

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific. I meant I would do the Sansamp over the Strobostomp. OBVIOUSLY he just needs to run from the direct out in this case.

Sorry about that guys!

• Members

How about just getting a decent DI? I can take one in my bass case and be ready to go, why bother taking the amp off the cabinet and having one more thing to haul? Now, I use active basses, so I've always got tone shaping along for the ride, too, but I just don't see the point in hauling something around if you aren't going to use it for its intended purpose. It's like taking a Ferrari to the drive-in.... it's meant to be driven not just sat in...

Plus, the new rigs they are making aren't big and heavy, so how much lighter do you need your rig to be? maybe you should have taken up the flute instead of bass? I'm sorry, I'm not usually snarky, but I don't see the point in buying a super light rig to make it 'one lighter'.... that is like the anti-spinal tap and certainly not very rock and roll.

• Members

How about just getting a decent DI? I can take one in my bass case and be ready to go, why bother taking the amp off the cabinet and having one more thing to haul?

Yeah, I kinda see it that way, too... Not too long ago, I put together a mini pedalboard(BOSS BCB30) that has an XDS-PLUS, Pitchblack, and Countryman DI on it - to use as a backup setup, and something to take along if I'm forced to use a provided backline... This way, I know I'll always have a wireless, reliable tuner, and top quality DI send - regardless of anything else... I haven't had to use it yet, but it's compact and light(sits behind the seat of my truck) - and will definitely come in handy down the road, sooner or later...

I've always thought that owning a decent DI is a must for any gigging bassist - a Radial JDI, J48, or Countryman 85 are all great units, and on a budget Whirlwind's IMP2 or Rapco's DI100 aren't all that bad... Although I wouldn't own most of their stuff, Behringer's active DI's aren't bad, either...

- georgestrings

• Moderators

Getting a decent DI? Why? He already has very decent one on a very portable, ultra-lightweight amp? Everyone isn't into the active eq bass category, and having that preamp giving the tone going to the board is essentially what he (OP) wants.

• Members

How about just getting a decent DI? I can take one in my bass case and be ready to go, why bother taking the amp off the cabinet and having one more thing to haul? Now, I use active basses, so I've always got tone shaping along for the ride, too, but I just don't see the point in hauling something around if you aren't going to use it for its intended purpose. It's like taking a Ferrari to the drive-in.... it's meant to be driven not just sat in...

Plus, the new rigs they are making aren't big and heavy, so how much lighter do you need your rig to be? maybe you should have taken up the flute instead of bass? I'm sorry, I'm not usually snarky, but I don't see the point in buying a super light rig to make it 'one lighter'.... that is like the anti-spinal tap and certainly not very rock and roll.

True, true, and the weight issue is precisely what kept me from taking up bass a long time ago. If I were 20 years younger or could afford to pay a roadie, things might be different....:idk:

And it turns out that I already own a Radial J48, which I used to use for my acoustics. Is it true, then, that it's not necessary to have a DI designed specifically for the bass? The thought that I need a Bass DI is what led me to think about removing the G-B head and using that.

• Moderators
......Is it true, then, that it's not necessary to have a DI
designed specifically for the bass
? The thought that I need a
Bass DI
is what led me to think about removing the G-B head and using that.

No. A DI will take the full signal. Now which DI is better, that's a different question. If your DI is passive and sounded good with your active eq acoustics, then it's fine. Now, generally the concept is that one should have active bass/passive DI, Passive bass/active DI. I'm sure you'll sound fine either way.

• Members

True, true, and the weight issue is precisely what kept me from taking up bass a long time ago. If I were 20 years younger or could afford to pay a roadie, things might be different....
:idk:

And it turns out that I already own a Radial J48, which I used to use for my acoustics. Is it true, then, that it's not necessary to have a DI
designed specifically for the bass
? The thought that I need a
Bass DI
is what led me to think about removing the G-B head and using that.

The J48 is excellent, and will work quite well for bass...

- georgestrings

• Members

Getting a decent DI? Why? He already has very decent one on a very portable, ultra-lightweight amp? Everyone isn't into the active eq bass category, and having that preamp giving the tone going to the board is essentially what he (OP) wants.

Well, because *I* think that a decent DI is a very good thing for any gigging bassist to own - because in the event of an amp failure, his amp's DI won't work either... To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

• Moderators
Well, because *I* think that a decent DI is a very good thing for any gigging bassist to own - because in the event of an amp failure, his amp's DI won't work either... To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

I wouldn't suggest that it isn't. The OP wasn't asking about a backup. He was asking about the GB from a "can I do this?" standpoint.

• Members

I wouldn't suggest that it isn't. The OP wasn't asking about a backup. He was asking about the GB from a "can I do this?" standpoint.

Yeah, I know - and I answered that, and added that I think all gigging bassists should have a decent DI, also... I hope that clears it up, bud...

- georgestrings

Archived