Which is your dominant finger?

KevinTJH

• Members

I know this is a ridiculous topic to bring up, but I'm just curious to know how many are like me. In playing any bass line/riff, do you start with your index finger or middle finger? If you're playing a semibreve, would it be your index finger or middle finger?

• Members

I dont think I have a dominant finger. Sometimes I start a riff with the index, others I use the middle. It depends on what string I use to start, but it does not really matter which you use, once you alternate.

• Moderators

For quite a few people I know the middle finger is dominant. Now back to the topic at hand............

When it comes to playing finger-style, I use all 4 fingers, yet I find myself usually starting with the index and alternating with the middle.

• Members

Some people say it really doesn't matter which finger you start with once you start alternating. As for me it really does because I'm used to having the index finger on the second beat. If I consciously make myself start with the index finger, I may sometimes miss a beat when switching to a different root note.

Just started on Hal Leonard Bass Method, and was wondering if anyone here uses the "rake technique"? It's where you use the same finger to play both strings when moving from a higher string to a lower string. That again changes the use of our dominant finger.

• Members

I picked index, though, my first thought was the middle finger, but now I wish I had my bass in my hands to know for sure. I think I alternate quite a bit, and when I have a sore finger, it's usually the index, and I can play just fine with middle and ring when that happens. I want to get to the point where I use the ring and pinky a lot more, just haven't found myself playing songs really requiring it...

• Members

When I started, and was useing finger style. The guy who gave me some pointers had me alternate which I started with till I could use either from whatever. And alternate those two with thumb. Idea being to become more flaminco guitarist like in finger use ability rather then the standard more limited initial learning approach. I hardly ever use fingers anymore, just pick. But on those rare occassions I still can start with either of those or thumb. or the first two kinda braced against each other to act like single unit. I'm glad I didnt learn useing just one or the other.

Archived