Help identifying this bass?

dmc69

• Members

Hi guys.

I'm new to the bass forum, as I am a guitar player, but I bought myself a bass today because I couldn't pass a good deal on an old MIJ Vantage bass. I've had old Matsumoku Vantage guitars and they were great players, so I thought this one would be good too.

However, I can't find any info on the bass. Matsumoku.org lists other models, but not mine specifically.

I'm pretty sure this was not altered in any way.

So, does anyone know anything about this bass? Model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

DSC07193.jpg

• Members

I have one in my basement that looks a lot like that one. Mine has a glossy clear coat on it, and if I remember correctly, a rosewood board. I think mine has a couple of stips of dark wood in the body also. I will have to look at it later tonight. I don't recall it having a model number on it though so I may not be any help to you. I have had the bass for about 30 years though.

• Members

I have one in my basement that looks a lot like that one. Mine has a glossy clear coat on it, and if I remember correctly, a rosewood board. I think mine has a couple of stips of dark wood in the body also. I will have to look at it later tonight. I don't recall it having a model number on it though so I may not be any help to you. I have had the bass for about 30 years though.

Yeah I have a Vantage guitar taht matches with what you're describing. However, mine doesn't have strips of wood down the middle... So that's why I'm asking lol. I've never seen a Vantage without strips of wood down the middle, besides the Avenger series.

• Members

A buddy of mine had the same bass, he bought it new in the early 80's. I thought between the unusual look and the overseas manfacture (things were a little different then) and low price it wouldn't be too great but it was pretty nice; played well, sounded good (with stock stings too) and was fun to play because IIRC the neck was an easy shape. Sorry I don't have any info on it but it's cool to see that bass again.

Tim

• Members

yeah the neck on this thing is nice. Feels like a guitar neck to me.

I like how it's also a 3 pc neck. I checked for warping and this neck is straight for something so old. The owner told me this was a late 70's bass.

Anyways, my search for info continues... thanks for looking guys!

• Members

Hi guys.

I'm new to the bass forum, as I am a guitar player, but I bought myself a bass today because I couldn't pass a good deal on an old MIJ Vantage bass. I've had old Matsumoku Vantage guitars and they were great players, so I thought this one would be good too.

However, I can't find any info on the bass. Matsumoku.org lists other models, but not mine specifically.

I'm pretty sure this was not altered in any way.

So, does anyone know anything about this bass? Model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

DSC07193.jpg

I used to own one exactly like this, & it's all original to the best of my knowledge... great little basses for the money...

Archived