need suggestions for a bass 12 inch speaker

geddyentwistle

• Members

i have an idea to test, and want some help

looking for the best bang for the buck and the balance of crunch and bottom.... for electric guitar, i want a 2x12 cab for rock guitar, with one greenback (low watt) and the second speaker to be a bass speaker...

so what would be a good 'cheap" 12 bass speaker for that cab??

or more spend more and get a "cheap" separate bass cab??

• Members

It would work, with separate amplifiers for each speaker. There are some companies already doing guitar cabs with one or more bass speakers in them for brootz 7 and 8 string players. But keep in mind that the cabinet designs for guitar speakers and bass speakers are totally different, even when they're the same size. You'd most likely need to isolate the speakers from each other within the enclosure, at which point they may as well be in separate cabinets. At least for the test.

• Members

thanks ... sounds like it may work, but a separate cab is probably best

the plan was speakers in parallel, with there own input, so could use 2 outputs from one amp, or from different amp

the greenback is low sensitivity, so i'm thinking they would complement each other, with the greeny a little louder

i hadn't looked at extended range guitar cab...

again, many thanks

alex

• Members

There's also an issue with sensitivity. Bass speakers tend to be significantly less sensitive than guitar speakers.

There's truth to this, for sure. But I hook up my Sunn Solarus tube head to my Sunn 200S cab (2X15 JBL D140F's) and it produces such a full, thick sound that makes it worth a little lost response IMO. But then again I'm not doing any shredding or particularly fast soloing or anything. The D140F's seem to soften the highs too...sort of takes all the shrillness out of them while still allowing them to cut through pretty well. Just my $ .02

Archived