Your favorite practice (bass) amps?

geetarLAXjunkie

• Members

My practice amp is a 50 watt Kustom amp of unknown year. I bought it at a pawn shop 3 years ago and have used it almost everyday without a single problem. I don't have it cranked and play with headphones with it. I also have a VOX plug-in type amp that uses AAA batteries.

• Members

I had an OLD Roland Bass 30 combo...back when they were still blue and covered in tolex/vinyl/whatever it was. It was from the 90's or possibly late 80's. I loved that amp. I'd probably buy another if I could find one, just for the nostalgia alone.

For the past few years I've been using either a POD XT plugged into my computer or small mixer...or just a DI plugged into my small mixer. I've got a metronome and my iPod going through the rest of the mixer, so I'm able to do all kinds of things with it. It's great. Lately I've been playing through the computer set up much more. I've got more music on my comp to play along with, and better recording abilities to capture anything I need to. I plan on getting a decent interface so I can ditch the POD and use my good DI's or mic up an amp in the near future...

I also recently picked up a Mesa Walkabout Scout for small gigs. It's the only amp I keep with me at all times (the others are dispersed with my bands so I don't have to lug things back and fourth) so I have been using that as an actual amp at home. It's a Mesa, and it kills. It's way overkill for a practice amp though...but it I have it sitting there, why not?

• Members

I have a GK MB 112 and love it. 26 LBS, 200 Watts, Line Input for IPOD, Heaphone Out for quiet practice. Awesome tone. 330.00 New

^ This for sure!

Works great as a backup amp if needed too. I also have the MB115 that is my gigging/rehearsal amp. Both have an awesome power to weight ratio and don't take up alot of space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I need to pickup a small, decent sounding, small, affordable, and small bass amp for my practice space. Did I say small?

I'd highly recommend the Peavey 158. It's inexpensive (usually around $80 at Guitar Center when they run sale specials for it), built well, sounds good, and has a headphone output. And, if you're into this kind of thing, it also makes for a great clean jazz guitar amp.

61aqoFeUQ1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg61cIkgbGdSL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/peavey-max-158-bass-practice-combo

My favorite inexpensive feature-laden practice amp is the no-longer-made Tech21 Landmark 60 Bass Wedge Combo with its SansAmp preamp section.

The cabinet allowed for it to sit up straight or tilt back.

7930-0f.jpg

Archived