Tell me about the Fender Bassman 300 Pro

oinkbanana

• Members

I've been trying to unload an SVT-2Pro for a while now, and just got an offered a trade for a Fender Bassman 300 Pro.

I've read some good and some meh opinions about this amp.

is it an anemic 300watts?

the reason i'm getting rid of the 2pro is because I just got an SVT-VR, and in comparison the 2pro just pales. I wouldn't mind trading for something that's different, but not if it's also going to be an inferior amp.

anyone have any pictures of the guts?

• Members

My main gigging rig for nearly 20 years was a MusicMan HD150 (ss pre- with tube power) with either 1x15 LabSeries (Gibson) or a 2x15 Peavey. The 150 watts was NEVER anemic - it roared. I eventually traded it to a touring blues guy from Chicago for a Peavey Max700. I do miss that amp. Before that, I had a Fender 135 all-tube head which was more than adequate for the jobs. 300 watts of all-tube goodness is more than ample.

• Moderators

I played through one at NAMM and... it is a thing of beauty. If you like a vintage SVT, and you like the way a bass sounds through an old Bassman turned down, you'll love these new ones. Really fat, musical, clear fundamental tone. Lots of character but clean as you like it. Very nice. Enough amp to fill a big stage, just like an SVT.

• Members

Had a 300T and a 2Pro at the same time. 400+, as well. The 300T was easily as loud as the 2Pro, maybe more. It had 37 gazillion knobs. I liked the compressor. I have read tales of these not being very robust or reliable, by people whose opinions I usually respect. In the 3 months I owned it, it was used at practice several times. In that short period it did not have any problems.

I found its tone to be very clear and full, seemed more "clean" and "uncolored" than the 2Pro. The overdrive is blendable with the clean, which is a good thing because the overdrive sounded like a swarm of angry bees operating a chainsaw. It's the least tube sounding tube head I've owned. FWIW I sold it first, then the 400+, then the 2Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

I wouldn't do the deal if it was offered to me. Fealach really summed up how the amp seems to me. It's a different, more clean if not sterile (for a tube amp) tone compared with the -2PRO, but it's definitely as much amp. I too had heard of reliability problems, but I've never actually knew anyone with one that had a problem, so it very well could be internet rumor-mongering. Bottom line for me is that it would be a lateral move. Try it and see if the tone appeals to you.

Archived