Another Phil Jones 8B on the way!

I stink at bass

• Members

So I am a little confused....When you used the 8B was it on it's own or with another cab?

I seen the 2nd post where you said you used it in a Jazz setting....is this where you normally play or is it more rock stuff?

And if so, have you used the 8B in a rock setting?

How is the PJ build quality?

I have not seen any of his cabs in this area so I am curious.

Funky designs, but as long as it works I am okay with that!

• Members

Yes, the first time I tried it with my rock band, but I used the same settings and levels that I used with the 212, and it wasn't as nice. Then I tried it with my jazz band, where I use a different head, the Shuttle 6.0 instead of the ShuttleMax 12.0. Once I dialed it in, it came to life and was sounding KILLER! Then at our last Rock band practice I changed the setting on the ShuttleMax 12.0 (after I wrote down my previous settings), and just like in the jazz band, it came to life. So it was just a matter of changing the setting, which makes total since because the cabs are tuned differently and have different ratings. So when I tested both cabs using the same settings, but at pretty much equal output (according to my db meter) the PJB cab definitely had more clarity, punch, and a smoother, more even tone. Not to take ANYTHING away from the GB212, because that is still a killer cab. Very loud and aggressive, but just not quite as smooth. If you play nothing but Rock all of time, the Gb may be a better cab. However, if you play jazz, R&B, funk, etc.. anything that may require some nice tight punch, the PBJ is the BEAST!

• Members
If I weren't prepping for a major trip soon, I'd be all up on talking you into sending those Neox212's this way...

They are not QUITE on the chopping block yet. However, they may be soon. I will need to do more testing first. Tonight will be my first ROCK gig with the 8B, so I will know more tomorrow.

• Members
They are not QUITE on the chopping block yet. However, they may be soon. I will need to do more testing first. Tonight will be my first ROCK gig with the 8B, so I will know more tomorrow.

OK, my first (rock) gig with the PJB, and it was NOT the NeoX. Without going into every little detail, lets just say that it does NOT have the BITE of the NeoX. So now that I am done with all of the testing, here is my conclusion. The PJB has very smooth low end, tight punch, and an ultra clean sound. It would be IDEAL for a jazz 3 piece, funk band or old school R&B. On the other hand, if you play Modern Rock, classic rock, or something that is hard driving, and you really need to cut through the mix like a hot knife through warm butter, the Genz Benz NeoX-212 is still KING! It's just something about that cab that conquers ALL!

• Members

What you've described is the main difference I find between the NeoPower speakers and the Piranha speakers in the PJB lineup (I'm finishing up my Bass Cub/Briefcase shootout, and the speakers are really the big difference). I'm pretty sure if you had an 8B loaded with Piranhas (or two 4Bs), there wouldn't be a problem with cutting through the mix like a hot knife.

• Members
What you've described is the main difference I find between the NeoPower speakers and the Piranha speakers in the PJB lineup (I'm finishing up my Bass Cub/Briefcase shootout, and the speakers are really the big difference). I'm pretty sure if you had an 8B loaded with Piranhas (or two 4Bs), there wouldn't be a problem with cutting through the mix like a hot knife.

Yes maybe so. And the fact that the PJB cabs may be a little TOO smooth for Rock. IMO, if you are playing rock, you need just a little bit of Growl to your tone. Like I could never imagine playing "Dr. Feelgood" or "Detroit Rock City" through the PJB cab.

• Members

Well that is true. The PJB stuff is super clear and transparent. However, I've found that the PJB stuff allows any sort of effects to REALLY sit upfront and be clear. As far as I'm concerned, if I ever set foot in a rock band I'll put a Tone Hammer or something along those lines in front of the amp and it'll be glorious. The grit of the pedal and the punch and clarity of the PJB stuff will kill.

• Members

I guess it all depends on what sound you are looking for. Since I NEVER use ANY effects, I rely on my amp and cabinet to provide the heart-beat of my tone. For me, Genz Benz is the only manufacturer that has provided me the tone that I want "straight out of the box" so to speak. Not only for Rock, but for everything that I play. I admit, the PBJ is probably the best cab that I have ever heard for a true transparent tone, but that is the specificity of that cab. The GB sounds good in ANY situation. Of course, this is just my opinion. So if you see me in a small little cafe or coffee shop jazz setting, I will probably have the PBJ. However, if you see me on a 30' stage rockin out, you will definitely see me with the GB.

Archived