Light Weight Bass Cabinet

johnbarnesiii

• Moderators

Speaker cabinets don't deliver wattage. Amps do that. Speakers take the electrical power from the amp (measured in watts) and convert it to acoustic power.

What are you really asking? Are you asking for a cabinet that will have the same acoustic output for the same electrical input as your 6x10", but weighs a lot less?

I'd say that it's unlikely you'll find that, but it's not impossible. A lot of the weight in older cabinets is from the magnets of the drivers. Check out some of the newer neodymium drivers, and cabinets made with them. They're considerably lighter than ceramic magnets. Cabinets made from plywood are lighter than cabinets made from particle board or MDF. I don't know what your Ampeg is made from. Smaller cabinets are generally lighter than larger cabinets, but they cannot have the same characteristics. A smaller cabinet necessarily is either less efficient (less sound per watt) or has less low bass extension than a larger cabinet. Ye cannae change the laws o' physics!

• Members

Hey Perry,

A while back you hipped me to your setup when I asked a similar question - thanks again. I still haven't made up my mind yet (I've got a early '70's B-15N for the house for now).

The March issue of Premier Guitar has a review of the D-600 head and NEO-Power 8B cab, which claims that it could "only achieve moderate volume" at a club's Blues jam.

Your thoughts? Here's the article link: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Mar/Phil_Jones_Bass_D_600_Head_and_Neo_Power_8B_Cab_Review.aspx

BTW, a pal of mine just ordered a Barefaced 2x12 cab to go with his Shuttle 9.0; can't wait to hear that.

Thanks,

b_goatman

• Members

Three fifteens would about equal the air movement of six tens. Eden Nemesis made very nice 15" cabs with titianium tweeter that weighed around 32 pounds each. If your lucky enough to find used ones, I dont think they make those anymore, would make for nice hifi cabs for when that much air movement is needed.

• Members

I didn't realize the Piranhas were so much heavier. There is a marked difference in tonal qualities between the 8b and my 8 fives. One of the other forumites recently purchased one, and stated it was a kinda clean mellow tone. My b4 cabs are really punchy and lend themselves well to the kind of music I play (modern to slightly grunge rock). My 4X5 cabs weigh about 35 lbs apiece, the amp, 3.5 lbs. It is as much rig as I have ever needed. I can drown out the drummer on a whim....

• Moderators

Three fifteens would about equal the air movement of six tens. Eden Nemesis made very nice 15" cabs with titianium tweeter that weighed around 32 pounds each. If your lucky enough to find used ones, I dont think they make those anymore, would make for nice hifi cabs for when that much air movement is needed.

That's a pretty conservative estimate. I'd say one fifteen is equal to at least 2.5 tens, maybe even three. A quick comparison between Eminence Basslite drivers shows the displacement of one 15" equal to 2.75 10"s. That would make three 15"s equal to more than eight 10"s. Of course, different drivers would yield different results.

As for weight, one driver will almost always be lighter than several. The 15" above weighs just over 4 lbs, while the 10"s are about 3.5 lbs.

• Members

3.14 X Radius Squared

15" speaker.....176.6 sq. in.

10" speaker.....78.5 sq. in.

So three 15" speakers = 529.8 sq. in./78.5 =6.74

Six and three quarters 10" speakers equals three 15" speakers, or put another way it takes 2 1/4 10" speakers to equal one 15" speaker if you ignore the depth of the speakers, which is greater on a 15".

And I like 10's better anyway.

• Moderators

3.14 X Radius Squared

15" speaker.....176.6 sq. in.

10" speaker.....78.5 sq. in.

So three 15" speakers = 529.8 sq. in./78.5 =6.74

Six and three quarters 10" speakers equals three 15" speakers, or put another way it takes 2 1/4 10" speakers to equal one 15" speaker if you ignore the depth of the speakers, which is greater on a 15".

And I like 10's better anyway.

You're not taking into account the Xmax. Area, in and of itself, is not significant. total swept volume is. 15" drivers generally have a longer throw than 10" drivers do, so they move more air.

Total swept volume (Vd) is effective area (Sd) times throw (Xmax).

For the Eminence Basslite C2515, Vd = Sd * Xmax = 856cm^2 * .45cm = 385cm^3

For the eminence Basslite S2010, Vd = Sd * Xmax = 350cm^2 * .40cm = 140cm^3

385/140=2.75, so one 15" = 2.75 10"s. Other drivers will yield different results, of course. For instance, the Basslite CH2010 has Sd=345cm^2 and Xmax=.35cm, so Vd=120.75 and one 15" C2515=3.210" CH2010.

Now, if you prefer 10"s, that's your preference.

• Members

You're not taking into account the Xmax. Area, in and of itself, is not significant. total swept volume is. 15" drivers generally have a longer throw than 10" drivers do, so they move more air.

Total swept volume (Vd) is effective area (Sd) times throw (Xmax).

For the Eminence Basslite C2515, Vd = Sd * Xmax = 856cm^2 * .45cm = 385cm^3

For the eminence Basslite S2010, Vd = Sd * Xmax = 350cm^2 * .40cm = 140cm^3

385/140=2.75, so one 15" = 2.75 10"s. Other drivers will yield different results, of course. For instance, the Basslite CH2010 has Sd=345cm^2 and Xmax=.35cm, so Vd=120.75 and one 15" C2515=3.210" CH2010.

Now, if you prefer 10"s, that's your preference.

I'm thinking that the same 2.75 to 1 ratio could be gotten to if the depth of the speakers was taken into account. I won't be measuring anytime soon so I'll take your word on it!

I used 15" speakers forever until last year. With my Marshall amp with a tube pre and my Jack bass, the 10's make my bass sound clearer and less muddy.

• Moderators

The depth doesn't matter, but, if it did, the 15"s would gain an additional advantage.

I'm not surprised that the 10"s sound cleaner and less muddy. One consistent tendency of drivers is that smaller drivers often have better midrange response, even treble response. Even so, many (most? all?) 4x10 cabinets have a tweeter installed to extend the treble response. Personally, I think a good midrange driver would be better than a tweeter, but I don't know of any manufacturers who do that.

• Members

The depth doesn't matter, but, if it did, the 15"s would gain an additional advantage.

I'm not surprised that the 10"s sound cleaner and less muddy. One consistent tendency of drivers is that smaller drivers often have better midrange response, even treble response. Even so, many (most? all?) 4x10 cabinets have a tweeter installed to extend the treble response. Personally, I think a good midrange driver would be better than a tweeter, but I don't know of any manufacturers who do that.

I agree a tweeter is less useful. I always had mine turned off.

• Members

Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF (15") x 2 plus 18Sound 6ND410 (6 1/2") x 2. Stick a fork in it, you're done.

Have Don Oatman @ Low Down Sound build the cab for you. Top notch guy. You pick cosmetics.

This cab will put to shame anything out there made by any branded outfit. It'll handle 1140 watts RMS with (guessing) 103-104dB legitimate SPL (possibly even a tad more), will sport concise dimensions ~20" wide x 16" deep x 40" tall (perhaps smaller if you did back ports), & will tip the scales at a svelte ~80 lbs. It'll likely not run you a penny over ~$1100 shipped, an absolute bargain for a cab that will almost literally bitch-slap anything that crosses it's path or even looks at it the wrong way, lol.

You'll be the envy of every bass player under the sun, unless they happen to have one, too (& the number that do is tiny)!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Bugera... not bad cabs actually. But they are heavy and will not have the growl of the Ampeg 6x10.

For a lightweight cab, I LOVE my Markbass 8x10. I find 8x10's easier to move than 2 cabs like a 1x15 and 4x10. My 4x10's are too wide to get into my Corolla when I had it. So I have to use my van anyway. But then the 8x10 is the way to go :) For smaller gigs, I use a 2x10.

But it is super powerful, crazy light. I can get it on high stages or up and down stairs by myself easily. So glad this is 2016 and Neo cabs and class D are the norm. My back is only getting older.

Archived