what's a good fretless acoustic bass?

mistersully

• Members

Take a spin on an Epiphone Zenith. I have not played one, but they look sexay as hell......

I have one, in fretless. They're more of a thin-body with chambers than an actual acoustic. Not even as hollow as a Rivoli, Casady, or EA260. However, with the flat black nylon strings that come on it, it has a nice woody tone.

• Members

Looks Delish!

How's the B? I really like my Michael Kelly Club Special fiver (fretted) except the B is weak.

The B string is nice and tight. The volume and tone are well balanced with the other strings.

It came from the factory with flat wounds. :love:

• Members

looks like it's very quiet acoustically yeah?... i was hoping to be able to mic up what i get for recording, as well as plugging it in

Its louder than you'd expect for being 2.5" thick, but no, probably not useable mic'd for recording. Its still a great bass, and a lot better than the Epi Zenith.

Thing is, nothing with a body smaller than an old Earthwood is going to work if you only want to mic it. There's a reason uprights are so damn big.

• Members

Thing is, nothing with a body smaller than an old Earthwood is going to work if you only want to mic it. There's a reason uprights are so damn big.

i disagree

just for recording.. i can use a large diaphram valve mic and get the job done

i'd be looking the blend the mic'd track with the DI'd track

• Members

i disagree

just for recording.. i can use a large diaphram valve mic and get the job done

i'd be looking the blend the mic'd track with the DI'd track

I would be curious to hear your finished track. Most AEBs do not have the body size to make those bass strings sound as deep and full acoustically as they do when they are plugged in.

• Members

I would be curious to hear your finished track. Most AEBs do not have the body size to make those bass strings sound as deep and full acoustically as they do when they are plugged in.

i wouldn't expect it to sound "as deep and full" as plugged in... i expect it to sound different, but usuable, occasionally on it's own (in the right context) and often mixed with the DI'd signal

• Members

i wouldn't expect it to sound "as deep and full" as plugged in... i expect it to sound different, but usuable, occasionally on it's own (in the right context) and often mixed with the DI'd signal

As I said, I'm curious to hear it. Having played a lot of them (and owned some as well), AEBs just don't project nearly as much acoustically as many hope for. So for mic'ing it, I would think you'd have to have the mic fairly hot to get a good signal to tape, at which point you're going to pick up a lot of the string noise from those acoustic (bronze?) strings. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived