Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's a good fretless acoustic bass?

i'd like to spend under $1000... but will spend up to $2000 if i have to

seeing my experience on fretless is very limited, it would be preferable to me to have fret markings... i'd like to get straight into recording this instrument

Godin A4. In the price range and has fret markers under the E string.

Comment

Take a spin on an Epiphone Zenith. I have not played one, but they look sexay as hell......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epiphone-zenith-fretless-acoustic-electric-bass/520234000017000
      Perry
      www.myspace.com/badhabit00

Basses -
      MTD KZ-5
      MTD Artist 5
      Ibanez SRT-800DX
      Spector NS-2 (korean)
      Peavey G bass

Rig -
      Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 atop two Phil Jones Bass 4b 4X5 cabs

Comment

Take a spin on an Epiphone Zenith. I have not played one, but they look sexay as hell......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epiphone-zenith-fretless-acoustic-electric-bass/520234000017000

I have one, in fretless. They're more of a thin-body with chambers than an actual acoustic. Not even as hollow as a Rivoli, Casady, or EA260. However, with the flat black nylon strings that come on it, it has a nice woody tone.
        YUM!!!
        Tastes just like
        Genuine Grade "A" Dark Amber
        Pure Pennsylvania Maple Syrup

Comment

The Godin A5 isn't bad, either.

Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
          Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
          Attention Whore-T-broom
          I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
          Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
          grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
          Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

The Godin A5 isn't bad, either.

Looks Delish!
            How's the B? I really like my Michael Kelly Club Special fiver (fretted) except the B is weak.
            YUM!!!
            Tastes just like
            Genuine Grade "A" Dark Amber
            Pure Pennsylvania Maple Syrup

Comment

Looks Delish!
              How's the B? I really like my Michael Kelly Club Special fiver (fretted) except the B is weak.

The B string is nice and tight. The volume and tone are well balanced with the other strings.

It came from the factory with flat wounds.
              Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
              Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
              Attention Whore-T-broom
              I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
              Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
              grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
              Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

looks like it's very quiet acoustically yeah?... i was hoping to be able to mic up what i get for recording, as well as plugging it in

Comment

looks like it's very quiet acoustically yeah?... i was hoping to be able to mic up what i get for recording, as well as plugging it in

Its louder than you'd expect for being 2.5" thick, but no, probably not useable mic'd for recording. Its still a great bass, and a lot better than the Epi Zenith.
                  Thing is, nothing with a body smaller than an old Earthwood is going to work if you only want to mic it. There's a reason uprights are so damn big.

Comment

Thing is, nothing with a body smaller than an old Earthwood is going to work if you only want to mic it. There's a reason uprights are so damn big.

Or if you can find an old Tacoma Thunderchief. Those things were LOUD.
                    http://www.justmoody.com
                    Bass Musician Magazine - Articles I've written

OBM Proudly Endorses Black Cat Pedals, Gruv Gear, GHS Strings, Levi's Leather Gigbags & Straps, NS Design, Peterson Tuners, Phil Jones Bass amps, Visual Sound Effects, Warwick Basses and Westone Earplugs

Comment

i disagree

just for recording.. i can use a large diaphram valve mic and get the job done

i'd be looking the blend the mic'd track with the DI'd track

Comment

i disagree

just for recording.. i can use a large diaphram valve mic and get the job done

i'd be looking the blend the mic'd track with the DI'd track

I would be curious to hear your finished track. Most AEBs do not have the body size to make those bass strings sound as deep and full acoustically as they do when they are plugged in.

OBM Proudly Endorses Black Cat Pedals, Gruv Gear, GHS Strings, Levi's Leather Gigbags & Straps, NS Design, Peterson Tuners, Phil Jones Bass amps, Visual Sound Effects, Warwick Basses and Westone Earplugs

Comment

I would be curious to hear your finished track. Most AEBs do not have the body size to make those bass strings sound as deep and full acoustically as they do when they are plugged in.

i wouldn't expect it to sound "as deep and full" as plugged in... i expect it to sound different, but usuable, occasionally on it's own (in the right context) and often mixed with the DI'd signal

Comment

i wouldn't expect it to sound "as deep and full" as plugged in... i expect it to sound different, but usuable, occasionally on it's own (in the right context) and often mixed with the DI'd signal

As I said, I'm curious to hear it. Having played a lot of them (and owned some as well), AEBs just don't project nearly as much acoustically as many hope for. So for mic'ing it, I would think you'd have to have the mic fairly hot to get a good signal to tape, at which point you're going to pick up a lot of the string noise from those acoustic (bronze?) strings. Good luck.

Comment

These guys recently built an fretless version of their acoustic but I haven't seen a video of it yet. It's one of the only ones big enough to stand on it's own acoustically.

http://www.rigelinstruments.com/publish/abg.shtml
                              Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
                              Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
                              You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
                              You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
                              http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

Working...
                              X