Thinking about buying a bass in the 300-600 range.

gnr2391

• Members

Hey y'all!

I'm a guitar player, but I've been playing bass for the last month because I got this awesome gig offer that has a lot of promise, (it made me realize in the last month that I don't care what instrument I play, as long as I'm grooving with the band). So, I am sick of playing this junk rental bass I got out of urgency. I want to buy a decent quality bass. Even if the band I'm now in doesn't play many more gigs, I still would benefit very much from keeping up my bass skills and having a quality bass to use whenever some friends wanna jam. What bass do you recommend in the 300-600 dollar range that can get a great sound and have reasonable action with (my friend lent me this Squire and the action was way too high)? BTW, the band is a blues/ early rock n roll band, if that will affect your model recommendation (Beatles, Elmore James, Bo Diddley, etc.) THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!

• Members

For playing this old classic music, you need an old classic bass. You need to try a Precision of any kind, and string it with flatwound strings. Not all Squiers are bad, in particular the Vintage Modified line has consistently impressed me in the price/quality department. You can find them for $300 and under without much looking. I'd avoid the really low-end stuff, like the Affinity series.

Some Fenders fall in your price as well, and used most of the Mexican models will be within your reach.

• Members

G&L Tribute L-2000 can mimic almost any bass. Want contemporary tones? It can do it. Want classic woodier tones? It can do it. They can mimic a P-Bass, a J-Bass, they can get StingRay-ish, it can do the "faux fretless"/Jaco, plus a billion other sounds....... its a workhorse for any situation.

• Members

The Squier Vintage Modified and Squier Classic Vibe instruments have a great reputation, deservedly so. I have an American Fender 60th Anniverary Precision and a Squier Vintage Modified Precision TB. Both are great basses, the American one cost $1000 more than the Squier.

Here is my Squier next my Fender.

Stuntdoublewiththestar.jpg

The only reason not to buy the Squier is not liking the name on the headstock.

I like Schecters in that price range as well.

• Members

G&L Tribute L-2000 can mimic almost any bass. Want contemporary tones? It can do it. Want classic woodier tones? It can do it. They can mimic a P-Bass, a J-Bass, they can get StingRay-ish, it can do the "faux fretless"/Jaco, plus a billion other sounds....... its a workhorse for any situation.

I agree about the Trib. L2000. The only reason I recommended the G&L Trib SB2 earlier, was that I thought it might suit the OP's type of music better.

• Members

. . . Some Fenders fall in your price as well, and used most of the Mexican models will be within your reach.

^ True dat. Our church owns a Mexi J-Bass that was $499 with a gig bag at the local GC. They didn't have the P-Bass version in stock but I think it was $479, also with gig bag. I picked out the J-Bass and I was pleasantly surprised to find a real Fender for that price.

• Members

Go try a bunch by diff mfg to find the ones with great playability and tone to you. Same as for guitar. In your price range theres lot of great offerings by Esp Ltd, Ibanez, jackson, Peavey and even BC Rich. For the latter the P pup neck and bridge models will give P bass voices with mnuch more variety then single P basses. For conservative classic rock body shapes the eagle and innovator designs would do fine imo.

Archived