SX Bass

LOLRECONLOL

• Members

lower.

they were the big flavor-of-the-month here at one time. especially for project basses.

but they play like what they are - cheap basses.

Maybe, I would'nt buy one off the internets.

My son and I went to the Rondo store and we played just about every bass in the store before picking one.

Yes, there was huge variation in tone and playability from bass to bass.

We took the SX Short Scale Jazz that he selected to Bass Central for a Pro Setup, we had previously put on a set up La Bella flats.

The results were amazing. Between the strings and the setup, the bass was killer.

YMMV.

• Members

My son and I went to the Rondo store and we played just about every bass in the store before picking one.

We took the SX Short Scale Jazz that he selected to Bass Central for a Pro Setup, we had previously put on a set up La Bella flats.

The results were amazing. Between the strings and the setup, the bass was killer.

YMMV.

fair point. the few ones i've played have been singletons without numerous others to compare.

• Members

I bought two.

My first was the J bass 70's version with the black block inlays and maple neck and I gotta say it is a really nice bass. I bought it like many others here have done; a project bass. It shows that quality instruments can be made with reduced labor costs. A lot of companies have plants in Asia.

I replaced the bridge with a Gotoh and put in some new pots but I didn't see the need for anything else. It plays nice, feels nice and sounds really like any quality J bass I have played.

The second was the basic (and cheap) P Bass version but again I wanted the maple neck version. Again, what a nice bass. Nice tone, easy to play and the intonations were spot on right out of the box.

Never played any of the newer Squires but I've plenty of old and new Fenders. These compare quite favorably. My $0.02

• Members

YMMV.

Every bass needs to be set up. I do all my own bass tech. I have bought 18 SX basses (all bought new online), and only had to do a fret level on 2 of them. All the rest needed to be set up were pup, bridge and truss rod tweaks. I love SX!

• Members

Every bass needs to be set up. I do all my own bass tech. I have bought 18 SX basses (all bought new online), and only had to do a fret level on 2 of them. All the rest needed to be set up were pup, bridge and truss rod tweaks. I love SX!

What models would you recommend?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Squires are going to have better qaulity pups, hardware and build. Also better fretwork for leveling and no sharp edges out sides of fretboard. They will also have decent qaulity frets instead of the really soft cheap chinese metal ones the sx's have.

• Members

I've had an eye on the green Jazz as a project body. There used to be or maybe still is a darker green P bass body too. I was never sure if you can just bolt Fender or aftermarket stuff right on there though. One thing I do think is cool is they tell you the weight of each guitar; even if it's not exactly right it's nice they even try. I'm always asking Ebay sellers how much this body or that body weighs 'cause it make s a difference.

Put a U in the middle...Haw!

• Members

I believe people have tried in the past to drop Fender-specific necks in the SX bodies. SX is constantly changing, but last time I followed anyone's project the neck pocket on the SX is ever so slightly more rounded in the corners and required just a little bit of filing to get a Fender replacement to sit in there. It'll work, it just might take a little work.

• Members

I've had an eye on the green Jazz as a project body. There used to be or maybe still is a darker green P bass body too. I was never sure if you can just bolt Fender or aftermarket stuff right on there though. One thing I do think is cool is they tell you the weight of each guitar; even if it's not exactly right it's nice they even try. I'm always asking Ebay sellers how much this body or that body weighs 'cause it make s a difference.

I had an SX body to work with a couple years ago and found the body holes didn't line up for the Fender neck. I filled the neck holes with epoxy and redrilled. It was a little bit of a pain. The body was alder and pretty nice, however, the routing is different and the holes for the Fender pickguard didn't line up either.

AVOID!!

• Members

:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What models would you recommend?

Well, of course it depends on what you like. I'm a J man, so my main players are a pair of SX SJBs now called Ursa 2) with maple fretboards and block inlays, but I also love my Ursa 2 6 string bass.

I have kept, and still play, every SX bass I have bought, setup and strings is the key. But i also shield, and add a series parallel switch.

Here's some of mine:

IMGP2784a.jpgIMGP1449.jpg

IMGP0206.jpg

IMGP1229a.jpg

Archived