Jazz bass suggestions and alternatives

Dalmaprod

• Members

Hi!

I'm looking to buy a allrounder/workhorse bass soon. I'm a big fan of jazz basses, with maple fretboard. I like the Vintage modified Squier and have good results in studio with them, however, a friend of mine has had quite a few problems with his. Luthiers have had trouble getting the action right, intonation, there have also been various neck problems etc.

So I was looking at something similar but a step up in quality. My dream bass would be the American deluxe jazz bass, but its 1600$. So am looking at some lower priced alternatives, under 1k new. Does not have to be Fender or Squier. For studio, and live.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Don't forget about the American Special Fenders, pretty good deal if you ask me. If you are looking toward American Deluxe Level, you probably won't be happy with a Squier. Browndog is right though, if you can save up for what your really want, you will most likely be happier and end up saving money in the long run.

• Members

There are non-USA versions of the Jazz Deluxe that Fender makes........cosmetic differences include dot-neck instead of blocks and binding.

As far as alternatives, consider G&L ASAT or L-2000s (Tributes too). My primary bass is an ASAT and it does everything well, including mimicing a Jazz. As far as the Tribute series, keep in mind that G&L Tributes are the only non-USA instruments (that I can think of) that have the same electronics as the American counterparts. Something to consider :cool:

• Members

Hi!

I'm looking to buy a allrounder/workhorse bass soon. I'm a big fan of jazz basses, with maple fretboard. I like the Vintage modified Squier and have good results in studio with them, however, a friend of mine has had quite a few problems with his. Luthiers have had trouble getting the action right, intonation, there have also been various neck problems etc.

So I was looking at something similar but a step up in quality. My dream bass would be the American deluxe jazz bass, but its 1600$. So am looking at some lower priced alternatives, under 1k new. Does not have to be Fender or Squier. For studio, and live.

Any suggestions?

The American Standard is just over 1,100 and has the "classic" jazz pickup configuration, unlike the deluxe which has active eq.

Just sayin' - that's pretty close to your budget and you can get the five payment deal from AMS with no interest or credit card needed.

I love maple boarded jazz basses!

• Members

There are non-USA versions of the Jazz Deluxe that Fender makes........cosmetic differences include dot-neck instead of blocks and binding.

As far as alternatives, consider G&L ASAT or L-2000s (Tributes too). My primary bass is an ASAT and it does everything well, including mimicing a Jazz. As far as the Tribute series, keep in mind that G&L Tributes are the only non-USA instruments (that I can think of) that have the same electronics as the American counterparts. Something to consider
:cool:

I thought the MIM J Deluxe has their older MIA Noiseless pups/elecs?I'm certain at one time they did but cant say for sure on the current version.

• Members

New, I'd personally let the dream of a Fender stay a dream for the time and grab a Tribute or a Skyline.

Used, I'd take whatever felt good to me.

I agree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Tributes are closer to their USA cousins, than the Skylines are to theirs, e.g. same electronics for one thing.

Archived