Where are all the rack mounted tuners?

Perfessor

• Members

The only one in production avasilable in the US at reasonable cost sems to be a Behringer model. There is one tuner brand out there called White Horse, but it's not available in the US. What the heck happened......Korg, Fender and a whole bunch more made them until last year.

• Members

Most people want lightweight and small these days, two things that racks aren't all that good at.

They're only three pounds and fit nice in a rack. With my 5.8 lb. amp and a couple other lightweight things it would make a good addition. I'll have to get the Behringer.

• Members

They're only three pounds and fit nice in a rack. With my 5.8 lb. amp and a couple other lightweight things it would make a good addition. I'll have to get the Behringer.

IMO, a better alternative is a used Korg DTR-1000 off of GC's used gear pages...

- georgestrings

• Members

People finally realized that it wasn't an interesting solution unless you tour stadiums.

Guess I've gone the other way. I have an ABS plastic/aluminum shell Pulse brand rack, a 5.8 lb. amp, a 5 lb. power conditioner, 3 lb. tuner ordered and a 3 lb. fan. Altogether it weighs 36 lbs. with all the cords neatly out of the way. Really, all I have to do is plug in the power cord for the power conditioner and hook up a 1.5 ft. speaker cord. Everything carries easily and is protected at the same time.

• Members

True, I started thinking about weight issues after my last post..... I remember that a lot of the people on this forum ten years ago were using something like a Sansamp RBI with a 20+ pound 2000watt Crown amp, with a power conditioner, wireless, Line6 or similar fx unit, and lot of other stuff added in, and wondering what all that weighed. It'd be much easier to put together a lightweight rack system these days, but it seems like not many people are doing it.

I don't see ANYONE around here using rack effects units anymore-- it's either a stompboxpalooza or nothing.

• Members

People finally realized that it wasn't an interesting solution unless you tour stadiums.

Meh, to each their own - I don't play stadiums, but play fairly large clubs for the most part... For me, it's all about convenience - I can roll my cab in, set my rack on top of it, plug in one pwoer cable and a speaker cable, stick a wireless transmitter in my back pocket - and be up and running... I suppose if I used a pedalboard, I'd use a different approach - but I don't, and really like not having anything but my cab on the floor:

IMAG0447.jpg

• Members

Guess I've gone the other way. I have an ABS plastic/aluminum shell Pulse brand rack, a 5.8 lb. amp, a 5 lb. power conditioner, 3 lb. tuner ordered and a 3 lb. fan. Altogether it weighs 36 lbs. with all the cords neatly out of the way. Really, all I have to do is plug in the power cord for the power conditioner and hook up a 1.5 ft. speaker cord. Everything carries easily and is protected at the same time.

Yup - although my M-pulse 600 isn't nearly as light as your amp, my whole rack still weighs under 50lbs, which is very easy for me to manage - and includes amp, tuner, wireless receiver, surge strip, and spare instrument and speaker cables... I've been gigging a LONG time, and this is the most convenient setup I've ever used - I don't see myself changing that any time soon...

- georgestrings

• Members

I was considering used, but I haven't really had much luck with anything I've purchased used.

I bought my DRT-2000, Pitchblack, and Pandora PXB4 all used, and haven't had any problems with any of them... IME, the Korg stuff is pretty durable and reliable - if it works when you get it, it will continue to do so for a long time - if it doesn't, return it for a refund... Even though I don't need it, I'm thinking of buying another DTR-2000 or 1000 to have as a "spare", since they're getting harder to find... I was thinking of putting it in an SKB 3U shallow rack with my 700rb-II and velcro'ing my "spare" XDS-PLUS in the back for a 2nd plug and play gigging rack...

- georgestrings

• Members

Racks out of style?

P'SHAW.

I would never want to use a bass head without a rack. Where would I put my wireless receiver? Where would I put my tuner? Where would I stash my cables? Where would I stash batteries, speaker cables, backup extension cord, backup instrument cable, duck tape electrical tape masking tape and scotch tape and a sweat rag?

My SKB US Roto Rack protects my gear from rain, snow, and flying beer. My rack keeps my amp's knobs covered so they don't get bumped or broken in transit when a guitard's instrument case bounces into it. My rack has everything velcro'd in place, and a tap light on the inside top so the sound guy can see where the DI out is. I roll my cabs in, drop a power cable, drop a speaker cable, and I'm tuning up in five minutes.

I've seen my friends carrying their amps into gigs. No cover, no box, no rack or case or anything. Just slinging it around as is. So any rain or snow can get inside it, anyone spills a beer it goes right in the vent holes, anyone bumps their gear against the face it'll knock those knobs around. After I explain the benefits of having a good protective case, 9 times out of 10 they'll have their gear racked up the next time I see them play.

Case in point, my friend's Mesa 400+ that was ooooold and sounded great. But the handles had snapped off, the rubber feet were torn up, two knobs broken, and the chassis was just WRINKLED like crumpled up homework thrown on the ground. He saw how I racked up my gear, and got furious! We spent a short afternoon repairing his amp and replacing rusty screws, hammering the front plate's corners flat again so the rack screws could be used, and planned out what cables and cords to buy. We found an SKB rolling Roto Rack 6-space for hella cheap. Replaced some cables, new power cord, assembled a 4-plug gang box and riveted it to the inside of the rack, some velcro and zip ties, some sticky anchors, and BLAMMO his gear was all in one box and dead simple to set up. He still thanks me to this day whenever I see him.

Go rack or go home.

• Members

I should have been more clear-- I still see people using racks like yours (I have one too for my 800RB), but not the minifridge-sized things with separate preamps, poweramps, rack processors, covered in a million blinkenlights, ala the Edge.

• Members

Racks out of style?

P'SHAW.

I would never want to use a bass head without a rack. Where would I put my wireless receiver? Where would I put my tuner? Where would I stash my cables? Where would I stash batteries, speaker cables, backup extension cord, backup instrument cable, duck tape electrical tape masking tape and scotch tape and a sweat rag?

My SKB US Roto Rack protects my gear from rain, snow, and flying beer. My rack keeps my amp's knobs covered so they don't get bumped or broken in transit when a guitard's instrument case bounces into it. My rack has everything velcro'd in place, and a tap light on the inside top so the sound guy can see where the DI out is. I roll my cabs in, drop a power cable, drop a speaker cable, and I'm tuning up in five minutes.

I've seen my friends carrying their amps into gigs. No cover, no box, no rack or case or anything. Just slinging it around as is. So any rain or snow can get inside it, anyone spills a beer it goes right in the vent holes, anyone bumps their gear against the face it'll knock those knobs around. After I explain the benefits of having a good protective case, 9 times out of 10 they'll have their gear racked up the next time I see them play.

Case in point, my friend's Mesa 400+ that was ooooold and sounded great. But the handles had snapped off, the rubber feet were torn up, two knobs broken, and the chassis was just WRINKLED like crumpled up homework thrown on the ground. He saw how I racked up my gear, and got furious! We spent a short afternoon repairing his amp and replacing rusty screws, hammering the front plate's corners flat again so the rack screws could be used, and planned out what cables and cords to buy. We found an SKB rolling Roto Rack 6-space for hella cheap. Replaced some cables, new power cord, assembled a 4-plug gang box and riveted it to the inside of the rack, some velcro and zip ties, some sticky anchors, and BLAMMO his gear was all in one box and dead simple to set up. He still thanks me to this day whenever I see him.

Go rack or go home.

I should have been more clear-- I still see people using racks like yours (I have one too for my 800RB), but not the minifridge-sized things with separate preamps, poweramps, rack processors, covered in a million blinkenlights, ala the Edge.

• Members

BTW the Behringer rack tuner works perfectly. They are rated somewhat badly because it's true it doesn't want to tune the E string if you just use the tuner alone without hooking it up to an amplifier. However, since it is afterall a rack tuner, once you plug it into your amp the way it was intended it works perfectly. Response time and accuracy is very good.

• Members

You can get far more efficient these days, with the amount of real estate you must commit, to get your tone. The Edge, John Petrucci, Billy Sheehan, these guys have racks full of Eventide Eclipses, old TC Electronics reverbs, crazy-old analog delays, stuff like that. Petrucci once had THREE Mesa Road Kings, each dialed a little different from each other, and then backups, all in his cases. Chris Herin of Tiles has a pedal board FILLED with boutique stomp boxes and out-of-production effects pedals that he'll never get rid of. This is all ridiculous stuff that you COULD do with one decent digital effects unit. But.... these are the elite of the elite. These guys make enough money to pay people to haul their {censored} for them. These guys are the snobbiest of tone snobs. Anal-retentive is probably more like it. So they want only the best of the best in their rigs, and it doesn't matter how huge their rigs have to be to contain it all.

And then you have the guys who just want to PLAY. Meshuggah goes out with one rack, that holds their Line 6 Pod Pro's, all to in-ears. Sabaton just came to town, and they had Pod HD500's and nothing else. Dead simple, nothing glitchy to break down and be impossible to fix. Heck, they can go to any Guitarded Center across the land, and cheaply replace their entire rigs and be back on the road ready for the next show. Dirt cheap, dead simple.

There is value and reason behind both gig rig mentalities. I can see both sides of the coin, and agree with both design intentions. It is important, as a musician, to sound the way YOU want to sound first and foremost. But it is also important to have a reliable, trustworthy, complications-free setup that will endure the road.

My band currently wants to do the Meshuggah Box. I want them to either get old used Pod Pro's, or invest in the Pod HD Pro. Then I put my Eden amp in there. Then everything can be routed to our IEM mixer, and have a simple two-channel power amp for the guitar Pods. Get to the gig, pull out three speaker cables to each of our smaller cabs for the sound guy to mic, bring over the keyboard rig's lines, toss out the controller board cables, and GO. It will be really nice, to have our gear in one big box, and three simple small cabinets just in case.

But if we're doing a big stage, or it's our own headlining show, you DAMN RIGHT we're all bringing out our whole rigs with all the bells and whistles!!!

I'm just happy, that as a bass player, I'm happy without any effects or stomp boxes. I want solid, consistent tone, nothing flashy and fancy.

• Members

More people are using multi effect pedals. These all have tuner built in. Thing I miss is being able to see pitch pipes and pitch forks in music stores. The good ole fashioned ability to tune by ear tools. lol. More pro players are going direct to house Pa for their main sound to and thus use processor to get ready for recording & Pa tone. These processors of course also have tuner built in. Seperate rack tuner is allmost redundent anymore. I havent noticed wether or not the little pocket battery powered tuners of old are still being made.

Archived